Board logo

Brakes
hearnia - 1/5/05 at 07:20 PM

Next thing on the list is brakes.

I was going to go for a Wilwood setup, but found out today they dont have a caliper with cable hanbrake facility, and as I dont want to use the standard sierra rears, I'd like some suggestions.

What brake setup do people have on theirs already? I am going to use 15" wheels so they have to fit.

Cheers
Joe

Ben_Copeland - 1/5/05 at 07:54 PM

Whats wrong with seirra rears, not as if they arent good enough ? or is it they are not lightweight?

Whereabouts in Kent are you btw ?

hearnia - 1/5/05 at 08:07 PM

I'm in Ashford in kent.

I dont really want the Sierra parts on there, I'd rather use aftermarket ones and know I dont want to change them, than be unhappy with them and have to change them later on.

[Edited on 1/5/05 by hearnia]

Ben_Copeland - 1/5/05 at 08:15 PM

Well vauxhall rear discs have the handbrake inside the actually discs... have like a hub brake inside and a caliper outside. Maybe something like that around. Or aftermarket handbraked calipers are available from someone. Sure someone must do them.

Another one from Ashford. I'm down near margate. Kingsgate to be precise

hearnia - 1/5/05 at 08:17 PM

Cool, when shes rolling we'll have to go out for a boost.

I was wondering whether someone like hi spec did different rear calipers?

Ben_Copeland - 1/5/05 at 08:25 PM

Worth checking, theres a brakes company in/near Ash too. Somewhere near New Ash Green TN15 area. Worth checking them too, if they still exist.

Oh and try Rally Design too

[Edited on 1/5/05 by Ben_Copeland]

gazza285 - 1/5/05 at 08:32 PM

Have you considered using one small cable operated calliper (Wilwood do them, as well as others) acting on a small disk fitted to the pinion flange? I'm considering it. Or I've got some rear callipers off a Citroen with a handbrake facility, little aluminium things, very nice.

Guinness - 1/5/05 at 09:02 PM

There is an article on this on this weeks news on Total Kit Car.

Linky

About half way down, from the boys at Marlin.

Hope that helps.

Mike

dnmalc - 2/5/05 at 05:47 AM

In discussions about brakes the problem of over braking comes up and I assume that this is primarily associated with the fronts. I have rear sierra drums from a 1.6 ls and also the larger drums from an XR4i as I plan to use these without a servo can anybody offer me any advice on which of these to use

Mike S - 3/5/05 at 12:18 PM

Give HiSpec in Dartford a call, they were working on replacement rears with handbrake when I got my fronts. I saw somewhere, that they had now launched them on the market. (can't remember where!)

Very pleased with the front 4 pots and much less expensive than Willwood etc. I have standard Sierra calipers on the back at the moment, but might upgrade later.

Cheers

Mike

hearnia - 3/5/05 at 04:48 PM

I've heard a lot of bad things about Hi-spec, I am interested though as the soon I get the brakes the sooner I can get it on the road.

I like the idea of the smaller Wilwood brake on the pinion flange aswell, would this comply with SVA regs? It might be a faster option.

hearnia - 3/5/05 at 05:12 PM

If they're going to be 2weeks I might just wait for the Wilwood ones.

How comes noone has made cable handbrake rear calipers before now?

alister667 - 3/5/05 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dnmalc
In discussions about brakes the problem of over braking comes up and I assume that this is primarily associated with the fronts. I have rear sierra drums from a 1.6 ls and also the larger drums from an XR4i as I plan to use these without a servo can anybody offer me any advice on which of these to use

Hi,
I used the standard sierra 1.6 sapphire drums on the back and (reconned) sierra calipers on the front - she stops fine and is well enough balanced as it is that I wouldn't have needed a brake bias valve (which I had fitted anyhow). I'm not sure if the XR4 items would give you too much braking on the back, but to be honest the standard items work pretty well I'd be tempted to go with them - anyhow if you do want to go with the bigger drums you could always fit the bias valve from a Fiat Uno onto the back brake line just in case.

All the best

Ali

mookaloid - 3/5/05 at 05:26 PM

I tried to fit the XR4i rear drums on my indy - they are too big, the hand brake cable fouls the wishbone.

Don't know about on a locost - depends on what setup you are going to use.

Cheers

Mark