fingers crossed
Paul G - 9/2/06 at 11:51 AM

Got my SVA tomorrow, Derby 9am,
wish me luck...............!

Jon Ison - 9/2/06 at 11:58 AM

Ok, good luck.

Lets us know how you get on.

splitrivet - 9/2/06 at 12:19 PM

Good luck mate,where abouts in Stoke you at.
Cheers,
Bob

jimgiblett - 9/2/06 at 12:39 PM

Good Luck

Paul G - 9/2/06 at 12:59 PM

Cheers fellas,
splitrivet - I'm in Meir Hay, Longton - where abouts are you?

OX - 9/2/06 at 04:25 PM

good luck with the sva.
theres afew of us only 20 mins away from you,market drayton ,give us a shout if you fancy going out for a blast

Danozeman - 9/2/06 at 05:14 PM

Good luck mate.

donut - 9/2/06 at 06:41 PM

Yep good luck and DON'T PANIC!! Enjoy it even if you don't pass.

98% of the time the fails are for minor things that can be easily sorted.

phillippe - 9/2/06 at 07:11 PM

good luck

I love speed :-P - 9/2/06 at 07:24 PM

Good Luck Paul

Peteff - 9/2/06 at 07:36 PM

Set off early and wrap up well if you're driving there

scutter - 9/2/06 at 07:37 PM

Good luck fella.

Dan.

froggy - 9/2/06 at 07:57 PM

best of luck

Paul G - 9/2/06 at 11:16 PM

Cheers for the best wishes fellas I've had a few beers to calm my nerves - this feels worse than my driving test!

splitrivet - 10/2/06 at 01:54 PM

I'm in Ashbank Paul just below the ashbank hotel.

Dont keep us in suspense,how did you get on.
Cheers,
Bob

Paul G - 11/2/06 at 08:12 AM

Hope to see you on the roads shortly then splitrivet, unfortunatley not for at least another week cos I failed. It was a good fail though! something wrong with the headlamps, no self centering and the bloody dashboard radius - unfortunately pipe lagging is not allowed in any shape or form. Also had rubber hose tiewrapped around the front suspension where its needed, covered in gaffer tape and tie wrapped again. The tester took this off said it wasnt acceptable as its not permanant enough, major manufacturers dont use duct tape therefore we shouldnt be doing it either. once this was off though all I needed to do was file the edge off the top of the upper baljoint nut and the very bottom edge of the shocker spring platform - so nothing major at all. One tip the tester did give is to use a washing up liquid bottle slid over the shocker completley to cover all its sharp edges, but I havent got to do this.

tried to fix the centering while we where there but to no avail, mk said something about putting springs under the rack gaiters, got to be worth a try!

Not sure what is wrong with the lights he seemed to think there was something intrinsically wrong with the lens, going to get some more today.

Also got to open up the exhaust hole in the bodywork - his machine that counted revs wasnt working corectly on my engine so it was running at about 5000 rpm for 20 mins in the emissions test, the manifold was glowing red and the edge trim around the exhaust hole preceded to melt and drip on the pipes! not good..... in the end he went home and got something which read the rpm better. He said it could have been something to do with interference from the timing chain upsetting the reading. Well at least the emissions passed which is the big one with a bike engine - many thanks to Snoopy for suggesting the air bleed valves, no way it would have passed without them! HC was 38ppm, lambda was 1.02 and CO was 0.00% at fast idle

All in it wasnt a bad day at all, Mark the tester was really fair, a top bloke and gave me loads of chances to rectify the little problems but with the lights being unfixable I had to have a return visit.

Hopefully get these little issues sorted and booked in for next friday

Cheers

Paul

[Edited on 11/2/06 by Paul G]

zxrlocost - 11/2/06 at 08:59 AM

paul whats wrong with your dash?

splitrivet - 11/2/06 at 11:23 AM

Got about a week or two's work before I'm ready for SVA Paul so you wont be seeing me on the road yet.

Good idea with the washing up bottles surprised nobody's come up with that yet.

I'd be a bit miffed if I was you re the dash you'd think a MK dash would be SVA proof right out of the box.

All in all doesnt sound too bad, weekends work and your on the road.

Cheers,
Bob

mandbsheldon - 11/2/06 at 12:47 PM

Paul,

Where/what are the air bleed valves? Mines in for SVA week on Friday.

Marcus - 11/2/06 at 12:47 PM

You say pipe lagging is not allowed in any shape or form, that same bloke passed mine with lagging on the lower edge of the dash. (it was covered in vinyl and superglued to the dash though!)

Marcus

CairB - 11/2/06 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G

tried to fix the centering while we where there but to no avail, mk said something about putting springs under the rack gaiters, got to be worth a try!

In the old days I believe max castor and a tad of toe out used to provide adequate self centering on Indies at SVA.

Hope it goes well for next time.

Colin

Paul G - 12/2/06 at 07:53 AM

mandbsheldon - the air bleed valves are only needed on bike engine and even then sometimes you might get away without them, do a search and you'll find loads of info if you still need them. The problem with the dash is that its just a flat panel and it needs the 5 mm soft or 19 mm hard radius, perhaps if the pipe lagging looks more permanant it would be acceptable, mine was glued on and covered in black vinyl but I guess it still looked like a bit of a temporary bodge and the inspector knew this. I'm going to use some boot seal edging trim next time - hopefully they will be ok with this

splitrivet good luck with the sva preparation, u2u me if you want to pop round and see what I've had to do to satisfy the sva

Cheers for the info on the self centering I'll have a go at that tomorrow

splitrivet - 13/2/06 at 12:48 PM

Paul if you need a couple of headlights for SVA you can borrow mine,probably a bit late now but u2u me if you want them.
Cheers,
Bob

Paul G - 13/2/06 at 03:31 PM

Cheers for the offer Bob but I got some on saturday, retest is now booked for this coming friday....... second time lucky!

mandbsheldon - 13/2/06 at 03:33 PM

Thanks Paul,
It's a Fazer engine.

jos - 13/2/06 at 04:02 PM

You had exactly the same fails as I did. How weird.

The fix for my headlights was to take off the front lens and move the 3 spring clips that hold the lens to the surround so that they exerted more force onto the lens. Check yours as you may have the same problem as I did.

Good luck with the retest.

Self centering - pump up tyre pressures and add toe out.

Dashboard - i slotted a length of pipe lagging onto a sheet of 3mm plastic and then covered the whole lot in fablon and secured it to the dash using the original dashboard mounts.

Andy harding has it at the mo - he's in stoke - i'll drop him a line if you need

Paul G - 13/2/06 at 05:04 PM

Well to be on the safe side I got some different lenses all together, after the SVA I'll try and sort my old ones out and then sell the new ones I just got.

Self centering is now sorted - had to put some springs under the rack gaiters, the toe out and high pressure alone just wasnt doing it on my car for some reason.

Cheers for the offer on borrowing the dash, I went round andys to borrow his sierra wheels and saw it then, it does look good but I've got some boot seal edging trim from europa and popped that on now - it looks quite good and does the job. pretty much done now just need to cut out a metal surround for the exhaust aperture.

Hopefully see you around when I'm on the road

Paul G - 20/2/06 at 09:01 AM

Good news - I passed the SVA!!!! just got to sort out the registration now!

Thanks again for all your help and advice

Paul

donut - 20/2/06 at 10:19 AM

WAHEY!!!!!!

Nice one fella!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Another MK on the road

bob - 20/2/06 at 04:23 PM

Major manufacturers dont use gaffer tape, but a washing up bottle is acceptable over the coil overs PMSL

Your right though its a good fail,reminds me of mine with nothing to bad to ammend.

Good luck with the retest

bob - 20/2/06 at 04:23 PM

i wish i could type faster... a day faster