Board logo

MK Indy self-centering...
ed_crouch - 12/2/06 at 02:49 PM

Possibly been covered before, but I couldn't find it, so... sorry!!

What are Indys like for self centering??

I have read that sometimes it is required to put springs in the rack to sef centre the steering.

This seems a bit dodgy to me, as the self centering effect doesnt increase with speed that way...

Is it normal to have to spring the rack??

Ed.

MkIndy7 - 12/2/06 at 03:17 PM

It can be done without springs, it requires the opposite Toe to what the Heynes states for the Sierra (think its Toe IN, like FWD, its to do with the engine being behind the front wheels rather than over or even slightly infront on the sierra).

This is only for the SVA tho, as it is quite a steep angle required for it to do it, we and I think most people set it back Neutral afterwards.

With it being such a small wheel and the way you drive them, you never realise that it doesn't self-centre.

donut - 12/2/06 at 03:23 PM

I thought it was toe out?

indykid - 12/2/06 at 03:25 PM

i had my car set up by paul at play's kool, and it will self centre very nearly completely, only needing input for about the last 20 degrees back to dead ahead.

afaik, self centring isn't a major problem on mk's, and i've never heard of anyone with one having to spring their rack.

hth
tom

john_p_b - 12/2/06 at 03:29 PM

self centering is something i don't quite understand as a sva requirement. when you're taking a driving test you have to feed the wheel back around to the dead ahead posistion and not just let it do the work for you?!

setting toe-out will get it there for the sva but after test set it to 1 degree toe-in i think it was and that should stop the tyres wearing so fast!

MkIndy7 - 12/2/06 at 03:33 PM

Probably is Toe out then, just remember trying crazy Deg to the point of the tyres squealing in the way the Sierra manual said, only to be told by Martin it was the opposite Toe we needed, DOH!

I think the Self-Centering is a bit of a fale-safe should you let go of the wheel or it slips out of your hands.

[Edited on 12/2/06 by MkIndy7]

nitram38 - 12/2/06 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
self centering is something i don't quite understand as a sva requirement. when you're taking a driving test you have to feed the wheel back around to the dead ahead posistion and not just let it do the work for you?!

setting toe-out will get it there for the sva but after test set it to 1 degree toe-in i think it was and that should stop the tyres wearing so fast!

It will effect your cars stability at high speeds and make it twitchy and therefore dangerous. Even most racecars run at least 3 degrees of castor.

Hammerhead - 12/2/06 at 08:39 PM

what springs do you recommend snoopy?

phoenix70 - 13/2/06 at 12:04 AM

quote:
no its not normal its only for s.v.a heres what i used to do

So snoopy, you wouldn't recommend leaving the springs in after the SVA?

Paul G - 13/2/06 at 12:56 AM

mine failed the sva on friday, self centering was one of the fails. We tried loads of toe out and 30psi but that still didnt work, going to have to try the springs method myself but dont think its a good idea to keep them in after the sva

Hammerhead - 13/2/06 at 08:41 AM

thanks snoopy. Ken at MK told me to do it also, just didnt say what springs to use.

DarrenW - 13/2/06 at 09:23 AM

I know mine isnt a MK but these settings worked for me, should be close for a MK.

Toe out as far as possible so car doesnt look too daft! (sounds strange, looks strange but works, i was around 3deg out).
Castor max (mushroom eccentric hole right forward).
Camber at least neutral, a touch positive also helps.
Tyres 35psi.
I also had the ride height set to give around 4inches sump clearance (pinto with modded sump), chassis clearance was approx 5". Shockers were set to around 3 clicks each but i dont think this affects self centre.

Horrible to drive but self centre was great. Straight after test i pulled the toe back in for drive home and reduced pressures to 18psi.

andrews_45 - 16/12/06 at 06:50 PM

Suppose this is what happens when you design a car with zero castor...

greggors84 - 16/12/06 at 08:38 PM

Unfourtunately the offset mushroom inserts do not give castor.

For the SVA test i set my car up normally but put valve springs in the rack, was fine for SVA, but did actually notice the lack of lock a couple of times. They came out as soon as I got back anyway.

Just make sure they cant get stuck or caught in there, I used crossflow ones and they were a perfect fit.

Mine drives ok now, but will be getting it set up properly after the winter. Was going to be before my silverstone trackday at the end of Jan, but broke my leg last week so am out of any cars until at least feb. (They tell me anyway!)

Hellfire - 16/12/06 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrews_45

As stated in a previous thread, the Indy DOES have castor.

Phil

andrews_45 - 16/12/06 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:

Phil

I cannot ever remember saying I had an Indy...

andrews_45 - 16/12/06 at 11:22 PM

But the indy quite clearly cannot have enough castor else this thread would have never started.

john_p_b - 16/12/06 at 11:30 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:

Phil

I cannot ever remember saying I had an Indy...

so why post on a thread regarding MK INDY self centering? i understand you have issues with your locost mk kit and i'm not even going to get involved there but i do think this is all starting to get a bit out of hand now.

i don't think i've read anywhere about any replica 7 kit having great self centering.