Board logo

Big propshaft problems
Jonte - 3/6/06 at 07:38 AM

I have big problems with my propshaft.
My Indy setup is Pinto engine with T9 gearbox.

When I speed up and turn left the front joint(?) at the gearbox hits the chassi.

The whole engine and gearbox moves
I´ve tightened the engine mounts as hard as I dare. I´ve also made small brackets to fit in the oval holes for the engine mounts, so the mounts don´t move. Unfortunatly nothing of these things helps me.

Has anyone else experienced that?

andyharding - 3/6/06 at 08:31 AM

What engine and mounts are you using?

EDIT: just noticed you're using a Pinto. 2nd question stands.

[Edited on 3/6/06 by andyharding]

Jonte - 3/6/06 at 08:38 AM

The engine mounts that MK supplied me with

viatron - 3/6/06 at 08:52 AM

What about the gearbox mount? that sounds like the culprit to me!
Mac

indykid - 3/6/06 at 09:09 AM

on my first car, i had the standard sierra gearbox mount fitted, and when i stripped it, found the prop had at some point hit the top tube, and both sides!

i'm pretty sure the top gouge was when i caught some air on bumpy roads near grassington and grounded the bellhousing on landing, but the sides can only be from slop in the gearbox mount afaics.

got a westfield one for the new car, which is much more solid. about £15 posted iirc.
tom

Jonte - 3/6/06 at 10:36 AM

Is Westfield using another kind of gearbox mount, different from Ford standard?

Bluemoon - 3/6/06 at 10:42 AM

Yes it's diffrent I'm afraid. Someone on on this site mad a cradle so you can use it on an MK, this might be an option if you can get somone to weld it up?

Dan

Jonte - 3/6/06 at 11:40 AM

Hmmm... ok...
had a look at the westfield site and found this

It looks similar to Ford standard, but I´ll take your words that it´s different

flange nut - 3/6/06 at 01:56 PM

On the standard Ford gearbox mounting you must fit the large bell like washer underneath. This stops the gearbox moving around too much.

Geoff

greggors84 - 3/6/06 at 04:10 PM

The westfield one looks the same, but is made out of a lot stiffer rubber so the gearbox is mounted a lot more solidly.

Danozeman - 3/6/06 at 05:33 PM

The westfield one mounts to the chassis different to the sierra one. It is a lot stiffer. I would say this was your culprit. The sierra ones move about too much.

Peteff - 4/6/06 at 08:35 AM

Fit the bell shaped washer and put a large penny washer or repair washer under the bolt head as well then tighten it up into the bell. It pulls it down a lot tighter and stops sideways movement.

[Edited on 4/6/06 by Peteff]

indykid - 4/6/06 at 11:05 PM

this is mine, grafted into the original steelwork, cut down a bit. it seemed easier than welding 3mm strip together, and burning the old rubber out was fun!

tom Rescued attachment gearbox mount2.jpg
Rescued attachment gearbox mount2.jpg