Board logo

Sierra rack
kastrato - 8/11/07 at 11:58 AM

I am in the process of getting a 2.4 sierra rack for my MK Indy.
The guy who is making it for me asked me for the lenght between the mounting holes. The problem is that my car is in Greece so I can not measure it.
Can somebody measure the centre of the length between the mounting holes on the rack of their car (MK Indy) for me??
Thanks in advance guys!!

afj - 9/11/07 at 10:11 AM

i make it 147mm but i would wait for someone else to second that

kastrato - 9/11/07 at 10:13 AM

Thanks for that!
Anybody to second that to be sure??

Jonte - 9/11/07 at 05:20 PM

Looks like 147 on mine 2

kastrato - 10/11/07 at 12:05 PM

Thanks guys
appreciated!!

kastrato - 1/12/07 at 11:18 AM

Hello guys!
I still haven't receive the rack....
The guy asked me another dimension, can sobody help me out?
His exact words were:
"Sorry , we need another measurement-the current rack shaft length -otherwise we are guessing-i want it to fit exact"

P.S I dont understand that quote myself but if people know what he means can you give me this dimension?

kastrato - 3/12/07 at 07:32 PM

please somebody help!!

Bluemoon - 4/12/07 at 09:08 AM

You might also need the length of the rack is self, as the MK is shortened, and this is requried to dial out the bump steer..

Dan

Jonte - 6/12/07 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kastrato
Hello guys!
I still haven't receive the rack....
The guy asked me another dimension, can sobody help me out?
His exact words were:
"Sorry , we need another measurement-the current rack shaft length -otherwise we are guessing-i want it to fit exact"

P.S I dont understand that quote myself but if people know what he means can you give me this dimension?

sorry donīt understand that

Jubal - 6/12/07 at 09:22 PM

I have just bought a new sierra quick rack which I will modify (or have modified if it's too tricky). It will take a couple of weeks so I will report back with measurements.

Jubal - 18/12/07 at 09:27 PM

Well, erum, I have admitted defeat on the modifying my own rack idea. One read of the manual and all the messing around involved to save 20 quid or so and I realised life is too short. Parts returned back to Demon Thieves and I'll be ordering a pre-modified quick rack in due course. I am such a lightweight

kastrato - 18/12/07 at 11:41 PM

I still have not received mine...
It is not completelly my fault though because when I ordered the rack I specified that my car was in Greece (I am in UK) so no measurement can be taken.
Then the company (pretty well known actually company which I dont want to say their name, but you all know them in this forum...) reply to me asking for some measurements. I asked in this topic for the dimensions they asked me for and two very kinf people replyed with the measurements (thank them a lot!!)
Then after a week or so the company replyed by asking more measurements...
I understand that they are trying to deliver a fine product but I had specified since the beginning that I dont have my car in hand so no measurements can be taken...
The big problem is that these people are asking me for measurement which I dont understand because I am Greek and my english language capability is limited (especially when coming to mechanical terms..) due to this fact I copy pasted the email send to me into the previous thread
and I realized that other people doesn't understand what they asked me either...
Actually I will send them another email tonight which will request of a simple drawing explaining the dimensions required by them in order to customize the rack to fit my car and I will take these measurement on my car during Xmass holidays. I will let you know when I receive it in my hands, but it wont be soon. In the meanwhile if other people in here have progress with their racks feel free to post updates.

Jubal - 19/12/07 at 08:41 AM

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Why not just buy one from mk?

kastrato - 19/12/07 at 01:02 PM

So 2 main reasons. Firstly he MK one is 2.8 turns the one I am after is 2.4,
and secondly the company I am talking about is in the same league with MK (maybe a little bigger than MK actually)

Jubal - 19/12/07 at 03:38 PM

Ok. Sorry I couldn't help. How much is the 2.4 rack costing you? And where are you buying it from?

mad-butcher - 19/12/07 at 06:20 PM

well I'm even more confused if it's a company making kitcars then the odds are it's a copy of an mk (been going to kitcar shows for a good few years and I seen them all come and go ) so they should know the dimensions.
Tony

kastrato - 19/12/07 at 09:48 PM

I know that all are quite similar but this guy insist to take MKs measurements just to make sure I guess.
I am paying 140 including VAT and delivery. The company is MNR ltd.
I have already payed for it since November I think and the last time I spoke to Chris (MNR chris) we agreed to freeze the order for after xmass when I come back with the measurements of my own car. I email him yesterday asking for a sketch drawing of what to measure and he has not replyed yet.

kastrato - 8/1/08 at 07:48 PM

Hello again!
I have received the sketch for the measurements needed. It is the one below

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/kastratocliosport/spares%20MK%20indy%20racing/?action=view&current=Picture.jpg

Can somebody measure his steering rack on an MK Indy?
Thanks in advance once again!

Jubal - 8/1/08 at 08:08 PM

I can now see how that quality diagram took them so long to sketch out. If my car was here I'd measure up for you but no doubt some helpful soul will be along on a minute.

Jonte - 8/1/08 at 08:46 PM

A: 147mm as we wrote early in the thread
B: I have the extension rods mounted, but I think 1000mm is close to the truth
C: About 320mm. Measured with those rubber protection thingys in place

give or take 1-2 mm in either direction

kastrato - 8/1/08 at 10:38 PM

thanks!
this drawing sent to me on 21 of Dec just for the record...

kastrato - 15/1/08 at 12:00 PM

still waiting for the steering rack....
I have sent 3 emails to the company since you people posted the dimensions here and I have take no reply back...

DarrenW - 15/1/08 at 12:17 PM

So they are supplying a modified 2.4 full rack for Ģ140. That sounds like a good deal. I was under the impression that a quaiffe quick rack kit (for self assembly) is similar cost alone and no-one appears to have any stock. Quaiffe aparantly havent committed to a production slot yet.

[Edited on 15/1/08 by DarrenW]

kastrato - 15/1/08 at 01:41 PM

I believe that the quaiffe quick rack kit is cheaper. The price is good I have to admitt because I had a look around before I order it.
Most of people do 2.9 turns racks for sierra (I think quaiffe kit is the same too), I wanted a 2.4 and also wanted to give no rack for exhange because my car is in Greece.
If you send your rack to modifed into 2.4 turns is even cheaper.

kastrato - 15/1/08 at 01:42 PM

By the way I received an email confirming that the rack will be here next week some time so when this happend I will post some pics.

kastrato - 23/1/08 at 01:23 PM

Hello everybody.
The people that making the rack contact me again and guess what there were after? They been floated and lost my dimension!!
I re-send them the emails with the dimensions but they are not happy with the dimension B can somebody measure it again please
click on the link to see the drawing with the dimensions needed.

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/kastratocliosport/spares%20MK%20indy%20racing/?action=view&current=Picture.jpg

Thanks in advance guys!!

Jubal - 23/1/08 at 08:18 PM

I'm not sure what "been floated" means. However if the rack was due to you a few days ago then it must already have been built. So why do they now need the dimensions again? It sounds like you are getting a real run around.

However, if you ever get it sorted tell them to keep a record of everything because they would sell a few at that price without exchange.

kastrato - 23/1/08 at 11:15 PM

They sayed that they need the dimension B without the extension pieces because these pieces can vary.

when I say floated I mean that a lot of water gone into they workshop because of the rain. Sorry about my spelling (I am greek you see...)
I am not really sure what is going on but I am expecting that the following week the rack will be here. Just need that dimension.

kastrato - 25/1/08 at 10:57 AM

Somebody please measure the dimension B for me without the rod extensions! Please...

kastrato - 26/1/08 at 01:53 PM

bump..
I still need that dimension. I am sorry if I have pissed you off by now by my insisted efford to get this dimension but you are my only hope to receive my rack before next xmass because these people need this dimension to deliver it to me.
Somebody told me is about 1000 is this acccurate?
Thanks in advance.

Jonte - 26/1/08 at 04:22 PM

Iīll probably have to correct my measurement. Again this is a guess as I have the extension rods mounted. But itīs 970mm to where the extension rods starts and atleast 20mm goes in on either side. So total it would be 1010mm.

But remember itīs a guess

kastrato - 26/1/08 at 04:55 PM

thanks jonte appreciated
Anybody else which can give an accurate measurement for this dimension? If nobody else replies I would have to go with an estimate and put in danger all this wait for a part which in the end wont fit.
Thanks in advance again!

kastrato - 30/1/08 at 01:44 PM

Guess what...
Still waiting for my rack...
I have send them the dimensions since I got back from Xmass and they asked for some more because the store was full of water because of the rain. Since them nothing happend, no replies to my emails and ofcourse no rack relivered to me.
I am goingto wait for one more week and then I am going for a refund. I mean how much more patient I need to be???

kastrato - 1/2/08 at 12:04 AM

still no rack and still no emails nothing...

Jubal - 1/2/08 at 08:17 AM

quote:
still no rack and still no emails nothing...

I think you have been more than patient. Have you asked MK to make you up a 2.4 rack? You can buy a 2.4 sierra rack from Demon Tweeks which would need shortening etc but they have them made all the time with the 2.8 so it should not be a major problem to them.

marc n - 1/2/08 at 01:24 PM

quote:

Guess what...
Still waiting for my rack...
I have send them the dimensions since I got back from Xmass and they asked for some more because the store was full of water because of the rain. Since them nothing happend, no replies to my emails and ofcourse no rack relivered to me.
I am goingto wait for one more week and then I am going for a refund. I mean how much more patient I need to be???

all i can do is appologise we have been flooded three times and lost some of the building roof twice

we still haven't received any proper dimensions for the rack,
so not particularly happy sending something that is based on a guess
as in my experience it will end in disaster
i.e it wont fit

all we asked for was correct dimensions, which we still haven't received

cheers

marc

kastrato - 1/2/08 at 04:18 PM

Who can specify the correct dimensions then?
As I mentioned since the beginning my car is 2000 miles away and even if I had my car infront of me I wouldn't be able to take the right dimensions because I would face the same problem that everybody else here is facing... We all have our exptension rods on so my guess will be an estimate aswell.
The question is, have you ever made another quick rack for an MK before? If yes use the dimensions you used the previous time.
If not then we have a problem because this thread running for more than 3 months and nobody was able to give accurate dimensions why would it be in the future?
Thanks in advance

Jubal - 1/2/08 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Who can specify the correct dimensions then?

MK. But do not email them. Ring if you have a question. Not having realised they didn't have accurate dimensions I think MNR's response is fair as it will end in disaster if it's not measured right.

kastrato - 1/2/08 at 05:21 PM

Yes I can understand MNR's prespective that is why I am still interested on getting this rack from them, if I wouldn't understand them I would ask for a refund long time ago.
I thought that MNR fabricating quick racks all the time including racks for MKs I did not knew that a special fabrication on individual orders is required.

kastrato - 5/2/08 at 03:09 PM

I asked today for a refund of my money from the quick steering rack I ordered 3 months ago and never received due to lack of dimensions.

Jonte - 20/4/08 at 08:19 AM

So how did it go?

kastrato - 20/4/08 at 07:43 PM

Sorry I forgot to update yes the rack is here ages ago.
I have not fit it to my car yet and I wont fit it until july I am afraid I will update then.
It looks good but I wont be able to express an opinion until I fit it.