Board logo

has anyone finished an avon?
Dave_the_sparks - 9/3/04 at 05:54 PM

Hi, after a long break from my Avon build i am trying to return to it with vast ammounts of enthusiasm, im finding it hard to muster said enthusiasm.
Have any of you completed a build on an Avon? (apart from which kit? who got the cream of the parts bins at Tiger rather that the rusty water i got from them!!).

Can anyone tell me that they have finished an Avon and are realy proud of the achievement in the face of adversity?

Can anyone give me a link to a site with pics of finished Avons?

Please help or my kit will gather more Dust!

p.s. anyone got any cortina uprights for sale???
Dave.

richijenkin - 9/3/04 at 07:18 PM

Sounds like you need to have a ride in one to get you motivated again.

Found this on the net...try this links page
http://www.mytigeravon.co.uk/html/links.html

DaveFJ - 10/3/04 at 11:13 AM

I believe Tractor boy is at the SVA stage - maybe even legal by now ???

here's a piccy of his that i use for motivation.......

build photos
build photos

Hope you get back into the swing of things soon - nothing worse than your 'project' rusting away all lonely and unloved......

Dave_the_sparks - 10/3/04 at 12:22 PM

Thanks for the picture, my bodywork is black also, this is a real help, thankyou! someone has even sent me an email saying he has a set of uprights for sale, this is turning out to be a realy good day! just taken my pinto block in to be re bored and skimmed and im regaining enthusiasm by the bucketload, just got to convince Mrs Dave_the _sparks that weekends and evenings spent in the garage will be worth it in the end! Thanks guys

DaveFJ - 10/3/04 at 12:25 PM

Looking forward to seeing the results - got any photos yet ?

I'm going for black bodywork as well - however this will eventually (far off in the future) be sprayed 'cadbury's purple...

Dave_the_sparks - 10/3/04 at 12:31 PM

no pics on the computer yet but some on a mates camera, how far have you got on your build? have you had any trouble with the steering column mount? i have had to cut mine off as it is out of line with the top mount!

DaveFJ - 10/3/04 at 12:44 PM

Not got very far at the moment - my garage is currently full of my brothers crap so I can't get in there to do anything.

the steering column mount is slightly off line, however it only has a plastic bush pushed into it so it MAY be acceptable when I come to try it for real.... if not I will just have to 'adjust' it as neccessary....

My left hand headlamp mount isn't quite right either - not a lot I can do about that though with all the welding around it...

recently completed the pedals, didn't bother with the 'cut and shut' idea.... I just cut them off below the hinge and used 2 lengths of 25mm square steel.
I binned the tiger accelerator pedal as well - too flimsy... but I have done a decent job of some drastic alterations to the original sierra pedal...

Cheers

Lightning - 10/3/04 at 07:40 PM

Not too far awat now. Trying to fit the exhaust. Fireblade exhaust from MK neads adapting.
Wind deflectors and mirrors next. Rescued attachment TigerRR 004.jpg
Rescued attachment TigerRR 004.jpg

Northy - 10/3/04 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_the_sparks
no pics on the computer yet but some on a mates camera, how far have you got on your build? have you had any trouble with the steering column mount? i have had to cut mine off as it is out of line with the top mount!

Dave, I also had to cut mine off, be mainly due to the Starter motor being on the offside of the Vx engine. I eventually fitted a plate from Robin Hood that hold the full standard Sierra bush (three pieces), and I now hope to fit a Sierra adjustable column (going to scrappers tomorrow).

I'm fitting body work on Sunday.

Cheers

Lightning - 11/3/04 at 02:06 PM

Northy, Good luck with the bodywork.

If you haven't done so already trim back the plates that hold the roll bar on. There is no nead for hem to be so long

I found that a dremel thingy was invaluable to take of the excess Grp under the side rolls.

This is the worst part of the build!!!!

Dave_the_sparks - 11/3/04 at 06:32 PM

Great looking car Lightning, are you going for an aero screen? i think i will do with mine.
Thanks for the advice on the robin hood part Northy, i will get on to them asap and order one!
I have done more on my build this week than i have in the last 9 months! assembled the rear suspension lastnight (a bit hit and miss tho!), straightened and welded my pedals, painted the brake bias valve a shiny red colour too!! Recieved a brake pipe flaring tool today so thats my goal for sunday, all the brake pipes run (i know its not much of a goal but it is sunday afterall!

Cheers guys.

gjn200 - 11/3/04 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_the_sparks
Recieved a brake pipe flaring tool today so thats my goal for sunday, all the brake pipes run (i know its not much of a goal but it is sunday afterall!

Cheers guys.

ha ha ha. Doing it neat is a real pain in the Ass!!!!! 'Not much of a goal', You won't be saying that sunday. Have fun.

tractorboy - 12/3/04 at 07:47 PM

not quite road legal at the moment but i have my sva at norwich on tuesday morning.if the weather holds off for ten minutes this weekend i hope to take some more piccys for inspiration and ideas.i have driven it on the road to get it moted and to get the carbs sorted out and ive only just stopped grinning as my face was starting to hurt

robinbastd - 12/3/04 at 10:29 PM

Shouldn't this thread have been titled "Has an avon finished anybody yet?"

Sorry!
Ian

Northy - 14/3/04 at 08:07 PM

4 hours of trimming and its on (nearly), just need to fix it now

Wasn't as bad as I expected. Rescued attachment Main tub on.jpg
Rescued attachment Main tub on.jpg

Lightning - 14/3/04 at 08:40 PM

Northy.....looking good!!!

The next problem I had was the lack of GRP nder the chasiss which ment the rivets were close to the edge.

Also trimming of the flash lines proved a pain, as if you sand them off flush this will probably mean going through the gelcoat layer and look bloody awful.

Trying to sort out wind deflector/aeroscreen next.

Waiting for Cabon dash (Not from Tiger but made up locally). Carbon stone guards too.

tractorboy - 14/3/04 at 09:31 PM

as promised took a few piccys today but as it wouldnt stop raining i was restricted to taking them in the garage .there are more in the photo section.[img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/a93266-RIMG0016[2].jpg[/img]

gjn200 - 14/3/04 at 11:03 PM

Any chance of some bigger pics of the engine bay please?

DaveFJ - 14/3/04 at 11:44 PM

I'm going to have to get my ass in gear and come up and see your masterpiece soon Tractorboy... looking good

Looks like my brother is getting his crap out of my garage next weekend so (hopefully) it'll be full steam ahead

Northy - 15/3/04 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
Northy.....looking good!!!

The next problem I had was the lack of GRP nder the chasiss which ment the rivets were close to the edge.

Also trimming of the flash lines proved a pain, as if you sand them off flush this will probably mean going through the gelcoat layer and look bloody awful.

Waiting for Cabon dash (Not from Tiger but made up locally). Carbon stone guards too.

Yeah, not much on mine to fix it in a few places

I don't want to upset you, but my flash lines are nearly non existant! And in some places have been removed totally!

Now, carbon dash and stoneguards sound interesting, any more info on those available?

Cheers

[Edited on 15/3/04 by Northy]

Dave_the_sparks - 15/3/04 at 05:29 PM

looks good Tractorboy, are the seats Tiger items?

Northys build is also looking good!

I got my brake pipes in and riveted down, just trying to find a seal kit for my master cyclinder now, my local motor factors are about as much help as Tiger!

Lightning - 15/3/04 at 07:56 PM

Northy,

I'm getting a local composite panel peeps to make a staight dash with a 19mm radius roll. I figure I can shape this to suite. I'm a;so getting some carbon fibre for me to shape for the stone guards. He says it will be about £15 - 20. Should be any day now, bearing in mind that nothing happens quickly down here, Will let you know how it turns out.

Northy - 15/3/04 at 08:11 PM

Please do! Is the carbon for the stoneguards the thin stuf that flexs? Or the sticky back stuff?

Cheers

Lightning - 16/3/04 at 05:02 PM

The thin stuff that flexes.

tractorboy - 16/3/04 at 10:20 PM

thankyou all for your kind compliments. in answer to all the questions in no apparent order:- yes i will take some bigger engine bay photos yes the seats are from tiger and if any body wants insperation ,help or just a quick nose round just drop me a mail and im sure we can sort something out. and by the way failed sva nothing major but enough that i couldnt fix on the spot. not to worry plenty of time to sort things out .

elitewiring - 16/3/04 at 10:29 PM

what did it fail on then, spill the beans, you obviously didnt take enough tools ,volve estate not big enough!!

Dave_the_sparks - 17/3/04 at 07:24 AM

Sorry to hear you failed SVA!
My dad once had his old landrover MOT'd from a distance of 25 meters and via a backhand payment to a dodgey MOT man, ten miles down the road we went over a speed hump a bit quick and the off side part of the rear chassis where the leaf spring bolts to collapsed!
Has nothing to do with whats on this page but i just felt like telling you all, im reminiscing, must be getting old, 28 next week! oh god!!

tractorboy - 17/3/04 at 05:15 PM

well to spill the beans then front indicatorsmounted over 400 mm from the outer edge of the vehicle( and they used the widest part of the car to measure from), rear lamp wiring fouling the tyres,front brake hoses foul tyres on full lock(they were actually 1/4 inch clear when i checked but not worth arguing over),mirrors fail to meet the field of veiw requirements, no self centring action on the steering wheel and the big one that might affect a few of you the brake deceleration valve is not correctly orientated. basically this is the brake balance/reduction valve usually mounted on the back bulkhead just in front of the rear axle.apparently this works on inersha and has to be mounted fore and aft (not as in build manual)as under braking theres a bearing inside that moves forward allowing fluid flow

so all in all not to bad apart from the water leak from the inlet manifold causing me to overheat every ten miles and the fuel lock i managed to put in the system by topping up pre sva(dont top up right to the neck youll regret it) couldnt get fuel flow as i didnt have a route for the air to escape(only a guess) cured it by rocking the car from side to side trying to do something else and it cured the problem.
but at least it stayed dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
try again in a few weeks.

elitewiring - 17/3/04 at 09:59 PM

tractorboy,
rocking side to side!!!
anger and frustration, now now calm yourself!!

Dave_the_sparks - 17/3/04 at 10:32 PM

bugger! ive only just fitted my bias valve!

tractorboy - 18/3/04 at 07:50 PM

sorry if i posted a bit late for you dave but im sure you would have rather found out now than got to sva and then found out. i dont know if it was just the bloke i had doing my test at norwich but it seemed to be a fair coment annoying thing was it passed the mot like it!

tractorboy - 19/3/04 at 08:54 PM

as promised engine bay piccys hopefully larger .i will put some more in my picture section if there is anything specific anybody wants to see give me a shout and ill do my best to help hope this is of help gjn200?

tractorboy - 19/3/04 at 08:56 PM

suppose it would help if i actually attatched some piccys! doh! Rescued attachment pre-sva9.jpg
Rescued attachment pre-sva9.jpg

Dave_the_sparks - 20/3/04 at 06:41 PM

Good pics Tractorboy, thanks.

Jeffers_S13 - 20/4/04 at 05:15 PM

Tractorboy, your car looks excellent, Ive had a flick through your gallery. Your front mudguards/wings seem to come a long way down the front of the wheel ? Are the roll hoop something you created ? How windy is it with just the aero sceen ?! After being in my mates Westy at a ton, the wind that laps around the screen is incredible, I expect its very windy with no screen at all ?

tractorboy - 21/4/04 at 01:30 PM

hello mate thanks for the kind comments. the cycle wings are quite long so i took a magical measurement of about 13-14 inches from the ground as i think sva only stippulate that the leading edge must be further forward than the leading edge of the wheel rim. the hoops are from tiger. as for the wind factor i dont really know yet as ive only driven the car twice to the mot and the sva and firsttime the buzz factor was so great it may as well of been raining frogs for all i would have noticed and going to the sva i was wearing a crash helmet, so day to day im not sure yet but it is easier to pass sva with aero screen as no requirement for wipers ,demist or washer system .and it is something i can always change later if it becomes too much.

Northy - 21/4/04 at 05:26 PM

Tractorboy,

Just had a look through your photo archive.
What rear view mirror are you using? Where is it mounted to? And how?
Have you passed your SVA yet?

Cheers

tractorboy - 24/4/04 at 07:44 PM

was using the sierra mirror mounted on the top of the scuttle but it failed ! i now have a hight adjustable mirror from europa and im hoping this will do the trick i will be getting in contact with norwich sva centre on monday to find out the waiting list for a retest and ill keep you all posted on the progress(dont think ill make stoneleigh in it though)

Northy - 24/4/04 at 11:05 PM

Tractorboy,

Why did it fail? What reason? I was hoping to just stick the std Sierra rear view mirror to the areo screen to pass SVA, is this a no no?

Cheers

tractorboy - 25/4/04 at 10:18 PM

the sierra mirror is ok ,its just a question of what you can see in it.with mine it was a good veiw of my shoulder mostly but coupled with the fact my wing mirrors were the best part of useless too! there is a set of markers they look at and if they (the nice men at the sva centre)cant see them your mirrors are either ineffective of wrongly positioned.i have seen some layed down dimentions/distances but i cant remember where?

Viper - 26/4/04 at 06:12 AM

In the SVA manuel
Tim