Board logo

Front bottom ball joint, nuts
Rudy - 8/9/07 at 06:56 AM

Hi friends,
this morning I regulated front lights, and I saw bottom ball joint nut, it was unscrewded , I am sure I fixed it in the beginning, I only did about 1000 km with my car. So please, friends, have a look at your bottom ball joint.

NeilP - 8/9/07 at 09:51 AM

It is surprising, despite locktight and setting the torque wrench to FT that these little buggers still manage to find their way loose - My propshaft bolt were only finger tight the other day...

I think that a regular 30min every month is probably a (balls-aching) but sensible habit to get into....

fideel109 - 8/9/07 at 01:41 PM

Thanks for the warning!!!!
I'm going over my car tomorrow after my ride from last week.
I've done some really bad roads and I've only 200 miles on the counter.
I'm curious.....

Ciao-JP

BenB - 8/9/07 at 02:14 PM

Yes! Do check them (and preferably paint a line on the nut and thread so you can see if they've slipped).

Having had one pop off @ 40mph (with the obvious consequences) I wouldn't recommend it except to the very constipated.

Peteff - 8/9/07 at 04:11 PM

Mine went years ago, but it stripped the thread off the balljoint, it didn't come loose. It was probably over enthusiasm on my part with the ratchet so don't overdo it either.

Rudy - 8/9/07 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Yes! Do check them (and preferably paint a line on the nut and thread so you can see if they've slipped).

Having had one pop off @ 40mph (with the obvious consequences) I wouldn't recommend it except to the very constipated.

I am sorry, and was happened? was you fine?