Board logo

reverse chain drive
aitch - 7/12/09 at 04:49 PM

been searching for about an hour now and found nothing specific s thought id take a risk and ask

what have people done about reverse gear with chain drive BEC

i really looking for the most cost effective solution

thanks
aitch

nick205 - 7/12/09 at 04:54 PM

Not really considered it before, but I'd guess you'd be looking at something like a starter motor mounted on the diff carrier and driving a 2nd chain/sprocket on the crownwheel...?

Might be worth speaking to Martin Keenan @ MK Engineering to ask if he's done anything for the new MK Midi. Or maybe Syla with their R1ot?

zilspeed - 7/12/09 at 05:04 PM

Or maybe Douglas at www.westgarage.co.uk seeing as this is one of his specialities.

russbost - 7/12/09 at 05:17 PM

Here's mine for the Furore. Wouldn't really call it locost tho' it's the machining for the diff can & the reverse sprocket & spacers that adds up!

[img]http:// Diff with reverse
Diff with reverse
[/img]

T66 - 7/12/09 at 05:47 PM

Almost certain Martin Keenan does a complete reverse setup...

Cannot recall how much though.

Been looking about myself and not found a great deal.

Jon Ison - 7/12/09 at 06:14 PM

How often do you think you will need reverse ?

The only time I have bothered is on race cars that have required one to get through scrutineering, ah IVA now requires reverse ?

I did a locost version on the GT1 chain driven, 12v golf cart motor, same pitch chain as drive train fixed to sprocket on cart motor, all fitted on a pivot and pulled into mesh with a 2nd hand brake lever and cable, satisfied MSA scrutineers.

aitch - 7/12/09 at 06:37 PM

looks like it will end up a starter motor, has to be the cheapest option then just try and avoid reverse

aitch

minitici - 7/12/09 at 07:30 PM

Best one I have seen is the Lynx AE unit which drives a cog on the gearbox output.
I think the Motaleria used one
http://www.lynxae.co.uk/Products-Bikesports.htm

Have a look at nitram38 photo archive, he has some pictures
Description
Description

[Edited on 7/12/09 by minitici]

madrallysport - 7/12/09 at 07:56 PM

Quaife do a unit very very strong, but not cheap Quaife chain forward / reverse drive unit

aitch - 7/12/09 at 08:10 PM

wow just spent ages going through nitram38 projectx pics,

the reverse is a little more elegant driving a gear attached to the output shaft of the gearbox along side the chain sprocket

all in all an inspiratio to look through his pics, a shame he doesnt have a web site,,, im guessing he doesnt have the time

aitch