Board logo

R1 air intake size
jrrsparky - 31/12/10 at 01:20 PM

can anybody advise me on the ideal size of a flexable cold air intake hose for a R1 5pw

Major Stare - 31/12/10 at 01:35 PM

I have seen pipes from a front nose cone to an air box of 4".

What is your current airbox/filter configeration?

jrrsparky - 31/12/10 at 05:25 PM

Hi
It,s a standard R1 air box & filter

bassett - 1/1/11 at 04:10 PM

I'd say anything above 2" as the standard intake is a tiny rectangle.

matt_gsxr - 1/1/11 at 05:46 PM

I have 1 meter of 3inch diameter and get no pressure drop. gsxr1100, but similar air consumption.

previous thread on this here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=124753

Matt

bassett - 1/1/11 at 06:53 PM

follow up question, wheres the cheapest place to get ducting as with a sausage filter i should probably look to do the same.

jrrsparky - 1/1/11 at 09:59 PM

Thanks all for the info & the link ( I did a search but like others it has never worked properly for me )
I,v settled for a 75mm smooth bore hose

matt_gsxr - 2/1/11 at 11:08 PM

Searching is a pain.

Best if you can remember who was involved with the thread and a word in my experience.

Some folk use google, but tell it the site name (its an option in the advanced search), which seems to work well.
I vaguely remember being told to put % around words in the LCB search, if you don't and you have multiple words then it looks for it as a phrase.

75mm will do the job nicely.

E-bay isn't too expensive for this kind of stuff, as it is proper Saxo / Max Power sort of stuff.

Matt

Yazza54 - 3/1/11 at 03:45 PM

Where can you buy smooth ducting??

I have superflex which is decent quality stuff, but surely as an air intake it is better not to have all the ripples in??

charlie_pank - 5/1/11 at 03:34 PM

Surely only 1 cylinder is sucking at a time, so the cross-sectional surface area of the plenum opening doesn't need to be any wider than one of the throttle bodies?