Board logo

radiator
Arjan356 - 4/9/04 at 02:04 AM

I have ZX-12 engine, can I use the standard bike radiator, if not what to use?

Thanks

Arjan

JoelP - 4/9/04 at 07:44 AM

you could use it, just remember that both the engine and the radiator are more enclosed in a kit car, hence its harder to keep them cool. If you do use it then it might be a good idea to wire in an override fan switch, for when you see trouble coming. I myself would upgrade to a small car radiator, since the engine will also be doing a lot more work.

Peteff - 4/9/04 at 10:02 AM

From what I've read most people seem to favour this. It looks like it uses the same bore hose as bikes.

alfasudsprint - 4/9/04 at 10:35 AM

Talking of which, anyone have a diagram for wiring in an override switch...would it be ok to simply run another control wire to a dash switch?

JoelP - 4/9/04 at 11:05 AM

assuming you have live to the fan, and a switched earth via the fan switch in the radiator, you simply take another earth from the fan motor. Hence the fan can come on via earthing thru the fan switch, or via earthing thru the dash switch.

alfasudsprint - 4/9/04 at 11:29 AM

Yes, right! thanks.

ChrisGamlin - 4/9/04 at 05:44 PM

Im not sure I agree with the point that the engine and rad are more enclosed in a BEC than the bike. On the bike the engine is wrapped up in a fairing and the rad has the front forks / wheel in the way of airflow and has to then route the hot air back out from behind the radiator through an enclosed space without cooking the rider. In a BEC the rad has a clear line of sight to the incoming air, and enough space behind it to allow for effective ducting behind it if required. Likewise the engine is sitting in a much more open environment with space for ducting if required.
Having said that I still think bike rads are sometimes marginal simply because the engine gets worked a lot harder at higher revs and lower road speeds than when in the bike. Ive run a blade rad in mine for 2 years which is fine on the road, but with the latest engine which runs a little hotter, its marginal on hot trackdays.

Chris

Arjan356 - 4/9/04 at 08:19 PM

Thanks, When using a car rad. which rad. I red that some uses micra radiators?

Arjan

Peteff - 4/9/04 at 10:44 PM

Arjan356 - 6/9/04 at 06:11 PM

Oh yeh,
sorry over looked.

Thanks

Arjan356 - 6/9/04 at 06:11 PM

Oh yeh,
sorry over looked.

Thanks

loafersmate - 7/9/04 at 07:18 AM

something like this should do the job(it's an early micra one):

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=rad_install.jpg

Ben

[Edited on 7/9/04 by loafersmate]