Board logo

Fuel Gauge for R1
smitht82 - 21/9/12 at 09:17 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to see if it is possible to get a fuel gauge for my R1 MK Indy as i occasionally end up on the motorway and get to the stage of panick when the fuel light pops on and then see the next services is 20 miles away :-(

Has anyone fitted anything before? I've searched the site but nothing has popped up (apologies if ive missed it)

-matt - 21/9/12 at 09:25 PM

I just inserted one of these into the tank, connected up to my Acewell digidash.

I didn't even bother connecting up the R1's light.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Fuel_Tank_Sender_FUSEND

smitht82 - 23/11/12 at 01:17 PM

Sorry been a while since i was last on due to lots of things happening. i've been looking into the fuel gauage again and see that the link shows 5 bolts where as mine has 6 as per the following picture:

I'm now stumped as most seem to be with 5 bolts?

welderman - 23/11/12 at 03:18 PM

The picture shown shows all your R1 fuel pump gubbins, if your using the original clocks there is a built in fuel low warning light, i used to get approx 40 - 50 miles out of the tank once it came one

smitht82 - 23/11/12 at 05:06 PM

I get about 20 miles out of my reserve so definately want a gauge. I have however looked across the internet and only found one post were someone knows of someone that has successfully got it working.

There must be a way but it looks like it isn't going to be easy

jrrsparky - 23/11/12 at 09:05 PM

I have just fitted a sender from ( TheToolBoxShop.com ) to my MK Indy/R1 today, but not yet wired in, my tank had a plate covering a pre drilled hole in the top of the tank so was very easy to fit.

adithorp - 23/11/12 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smitht82
I get about 20 miles out of my reserve so definately want a gauge. I have however looked across the internet and only found one post were someone knows of someone that has successfully got it working.

There must be a way but it looks like it isn't going to be easy

The fuel level part of the R1 pump only triggers a low level light on the R1 dash and starts a trip meter giving distance since it came on. It's not a level gauge sensor.
For a level reading you need a separate level sensor fitting in the tank (like matts link) and a dash gauge unit.