Board logo

clutch lever on gear change
bart - 20/12/14 at 10:24 AM

hi all

just having a daft thought

has any one fitted the clutch lever on the gear change in a bec

i'm sort of thinking it would be a good idea . any thoughts

Slimy38 - 20/12/14 at 10:46 AM

Don't gear changes need a push/pull arrangement? A clutch lever only pulls.

Fred W B - 20/12/14 at 10:53 AM

Clutch levers mounted on the gear change lever are used in shifter Karts, they work well. Means you have a foot for the brake and throttle each.

Cheers

Fred W B

bart - 20/12/14 at 10:55 AM

not quite what I meant
still have the gear lever for push pull
clutch mounted on the front bit like a bike but vertical moves with the gear lever
the more I thick about it the more i'm not sure
just want to know if any one has done it or seen it before

dave_424 - 20/12/14 at 11:41 AM

Very popular on the offroad buggies and go karts with bike engines. So yes, it works. It would get a little bit to get used to like coming to a stop or grabbing it in the event of an emergency stop.

adithorp - 20/12/14 at 11:44 AM

I'd think coordination might be the issue. Hand to lever, fingers to clutch and then operate both in a coordinated way... Probably easier if you're a habitual, one hand on wheel and one on lever driver.

There's been a couple of cars with a hand clutch on the column/wheel built by people on here. With those, one hand works the clutch and the other the lever.

dave_424 - 20/12/14 at 11:51 AM

One thing I saw on my uni formula student racing car, was that the gear lever was positioned that when pushing it forwards to change gear, the clutch lever mounted on the gearstick would essentially push against a part of the dashboard. This allowed the driver to have clutchless upshifts like normal but pushing the lever forwards for a downshift it would automatically clutch for them. Quite a clever and simple idea I thought

INDY BIRD - 20/12/14 at 12:29 PM

Pat Jackson did his on one of the first bike engine cars a formula 27 perhaps Google it and see if any pop up

CosKev3 - 20/12/14 at 01:05 PM

Another time you would struggle is if you spin the car around,you would be trying to grab the clutch to pull it in whilst trying to control the opposite lock steering etc with one hand.

raptor700 - 20/12/14 at 04:38 PM

I am using hand controls as I am paralysed , I am building a hayabusa mk , the left hand steers the car with gear mounted buttons behind the steering wheel, this time I am going for something a little different , a lever used by my right hand is connected to the brake pedal which I push to brake , this will also have a twist throttle on the end and a hydraulic clutch lever. The lever will only be used for setting off as it will have a trickshifter expert fitted for clutchless up and down shifts.

On my last mk I used a push and pull lever ( push to brake. Pull to accelerate but I had an auto clutch from efm in America fitted to my gsxr 1000 k5

capri_big_jim - 22/12/14 at 10:55 PM

I have one the same on my sprint car. I have a bike clutch lever on the shift lever and it works great. Easier as I have ridden bikes before.

Very easy to balance the clutch just like a bike.

The hard part comes as said previously when you are trying to correct over steer, this is over come by selecting the gear earlier and powering out of a corner with both hands on the wheel.

It doesn't take long to get used to it.

Jim

CosKev3 - 22/12/14 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by capri_big_jim
I have one the same on my sprint car. I have a bike clutch lever on the shift lever and it works great. Easier as I have ridden bikes before.

Very easy to balance the clutch just like a bike.

The hard part comes as said previously when you are trying to correct over steer, this is over come by selecting the gear earlier and powering out of a corner with both hands on the wheel.

It doesn't take long to get used to it.

Jim

I was thinking more of a full spin when you end up going backwards thus turning the transmission/starter in reverse and causing damage.
If you get the clutch in quickly before you turn the transmission backwards you can get away damage free, do you think you could get the clutch in on your gear lever quick enough by hand?