Board logo

fireblade regulater/rectifer
mkblade - 22/5/05 at 03:49 PM

hi all
went to start up mk mk blade to day started ok after a while i saw smoke coming from the above unit . turned off everything .started it up again after a couple of hours but after its been running a 2-3 mins and you try to rev the engine it just cuts out . started again and will idle fine until you rev again then dies.

i unpluged this unit and started again it will run and rev ok ,i thought this was for charging the battery/alternator any suggestions ??
many thanks

Hellfire - 22/5/05 at 04:31 PM

Again - that is a popular flaw on the blade... it has to be mounted somewhere very cool. They can be upgraded with a better heatsink on (cant recall from where). I'm sure someone on here can recall though.

It does sound like a rectifier problem tho'

colibriman - 22/5/05 at 05:49 PM

Did i read that right that you ran it without the regulator connected......I thought this was pretty dodgy etc as it doesn't cap the voltage....
correct me if I'm talking poo.........

mookaloid - 22/5/05 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by colibriman
Did i read that right that you ran it without the regulator connected......I thought this was pretty dodgy etc as it doesn't cap the voltage....
correct me if I'm talking poo.........

I believe you quite right - it cooks the battery, at least it did on my mates XJ600 when his rectifier gave up

Cheers

Mark

Bob C - 22/5/05 at 06:30 PM

Uhhh? if you unplug the rect/reg you are just running off the battery - which will eventually go flat....
I can believe that in some cases there may be 2 connections (one to alternator & another to 12V) but I can't see why disconnecting either one or both should give a problem.
Bob
PS Physically disconnecting while the engine is running could possibly cause a problem as the inductance of the alternator can generate a very high voltage transient, but I would expect the circuit to be engineered to survive this too.

mkblade - 22/5/05 at 09:36 PM

hi guys
i only had it running for a couple of mins with it off ,it will rev and idle fine with it off..

but when i plug it back in after 2 mins try to rev the engine just cuts out ,i did see a modified regulator on ebay for £65.00 plus postage is this about right .??

david cromie - 22/5/05 at 11:08 PM

had same problem. Mounted a thick heatsing and fitted a computer fan to blow cool air, seems to have cured the problem. I also replaced the blade one with a heavy duty one.

ChrisGamlin - 23/5/05 at 08:43 AM

An old Athlon CPU heatsink and fan did the trick on my standard reg / rec for best part of 3 years. I was going to also mount it on a decent thickness plate but never got round to it in the end as the heatsink was doing the job fine.

jimgiblett - 23/5/05 at 09:47 AM

Kit Car workshop do an upgraded one.

link here

David Jenkins - 23/5/05 at 09:53 AM

I would mount the unit on a proper finned heatsink, like the ones that Maplins sell. If you slap some heatsink compound between the unit and the heatsink it will also make a huge difference. Both are quite cheap (a few Pounds max).

David

ChrisGamlin - 23/5/05 at 10:17 AM

Yup, mine had some nice Arctic Silver CPU compound between the flat metal surface and the heatsink from the days when I used to overclock my old PC and it needed all the help it could get

TimC - 23/5/05 at 11:23 AM

Similar issue - my CBR1000 engine will not charge the battery - connections all look ok.

How likely is this to be the Rectifier?

Thanks.