Board logo

R1 engine age
Ben Smith - 6/7/05 at 12:58 PM

A stupid question I'm sure but. Where can I check age of R1 engine from engine number? Have searched web and found nothing!

Thanks.

Ben.

jimgiblett - 6/7/05 at 01:24 PM

The part numbers are share alot but predominantly the 4XV is 98/99, 5XV 00/01, 5PW 02/03.

Is it injection ?

If yes 2002 or newer
If no does it have AIS (Air Injection System feeding into the exhaust ports) , if yes 00/01 if no 98/99.

Cheers

Jim

Ben Smith - 6/7/05 at 03:33 PM

Number on side is 5pw00 and it is injection so I assume that makes it 02/03 as thought. Need to get an ecu now. Are all ECU's from 02/03 bikes the same? As I have to get a new one anyway should I get an after market one?

Ben.

colibriman - 6/7/05 at 03:58 PM

I have a spare 5pw CDi if your looking for a standard one..

ChrisGamlin - 6/7/05 at 05:17 PM

but no spare head loom yet Colin?

Engine has fired up though as you might have read, sounds sweet as a nut (whilst resonating round the garage), ive botched the water temp sender wires for now so no huge rush on it

cheers

Chris

colibriman - 6/7/05 at 09:26 PM

Hi Chris,
Great to see you've got it running...

I've just spent my evening rigging iup a fireblade foe testing..they're pretty loud with only a manifold on..
still no loomy bit yet though.. annoying thing is It'll be here somewhere!

badding - 7/7/05 at 09:47 AM

You can call Yamaha and give them the number, they have a database and can tell you surely what year the engine and the bike it came off from is. I did it for my zx9r engine and kawasaki netherland send me an official kawasaki paper off the chassisnumber year off the bike and engine.It's always good when you have a background off the engine, i'm not sure is't a requirement fort SVA.