Board logo

R1 owners help
hearnia - 30/7/05 at 11:33 AM

Hi,

Just wondering what to do about the throttle on my R1 powered MK Indy, its a 2000 model and has the push/pull throttle setup.

Do I just use either one of them for my throttle and forget the other completely?

Also where do I get the right throttle cable from?

Thanks in advance.

smart51 - 30/7/05 at 02:11 PM

does the throttle linkage on the carbs have a spring to close it? then you only need one cable. I guess that the other closes the throttle faster than the spring alone.

Dillinger1977 - 30/7/05 at 02:21 PM

mine (2001) is the same, i was wondering what the 2nd one was for.
according to the manual, ones an accelerator and the other a decelerator cable (?). as smart51 says perhaps its to close it off quicker.. ?

Ferrino - 30/7/05 at 04:05 PM

Yep, one is to open the throttle and one to close it. On a BEC, people just use the open one, and it's also a nice idea to put a little return spring on the linkage thingy that the nipple hooks onto, tethered to something fixed on the carb body. I have one return spring on the throttle pedal (to make it a bit beefier) and one on the throttle linkage.

As for throttle cables, I used a mountain bike brake cable inner & outer, after advice from the BEC mailing list - they are cheap-as-chips, and teflon-lined for smoothness! Bought from wiggle.co.uk -> free delivery too!

Surrey Dave - 30/7/05 at 05:39 PM

I think they put 2 cables on bikes for safety , you cant afford a sticking throttle with those things.........................

hearnia - 31/7/05 at 09:33 AM

Yeah I'd imagine it was for safety too, dont want the throttle sticking open.

Thanks for the advice.

Oliver Jetson - 31/7/05 at 09:43 PM

Ferrino - which cable did you buy off wiggle.co.uk? there's quite a few listed.

What do you have to do to the cable on the engine side? any particular nipple to be put on, i can't quite see how it attaches to the throttle lever.

any pics?

Cheers,
Oli