Board logo

R1 Exhaust Manifold for Locost
ChrisS - 19/9/05 at 12:30 PM

Hi

Can anyone advise where is the best place to buy an exhaust manifold for an R1 Locost.
Im looking for an equal length spec manifold and do have a tight budget.

Many Thanks
ChrisS

http://www.kitcars-forsale.com
Description
Description

Hellfire - 19/9/05 at 12:44 PM

MK! Well tried, well tested, well experienced and well proven... £300-£400 but call or email to confirm.

http://www.mkengineering.co.uk

[Edited on 19-9-05 by Hellfire]

smart51 - 19/9/05 at 12:50 PM

MNR. www.mnrltd.co.uk

kingr - 19/9/05 at 02:26 PM

Or build your own, like this -

exhaust - tasty
exhaust - tasty

kingr

[Edited on 19/9/05 by kingr]

kingr - 19/9/05 at 02:36 PM

exhaust 2
exhaust 2

Mad Dave - 19/9/05 at 02:44 PM

Kingr - I'm impressed!!!

kingr - 19/9/05 at 03:02 PM

Cheers Dave!

mike-ktm - 19/9/05 at 04:13 PM

kingr, where did you buy all the suff to do that ? Really nice job. How much did it cost you to do, how did you work out equal lengths, bends etc.

Cheers,

Mike

kingr - 19/9/05 at 04:36 PM

I bought the mandrel bends and straight from a milking equipment supply company (Hygenic Process Equipment if I remember correct). Came to somewhere under £100, and I bought about 3 or 4 too many ells! It's all in 316L, so it's top quality stainless.

The collector and link pipe (not shown) were bought from an exhaust parts company (Custom Chrome, again, if I remember correctly).

I drafted out the pipe routing by using bits of brake pipe (all the same length) bolted to the block and bent to the correct radius using a template. I then built up each header by working from the manifold, carefully tacking up the sections of pipe, using the brake pipe sections as templates.

Took me far less time than I expected - probably about a weekend and a couple of evenings.

It's covered over 2500 miles so far, and no sign of any cracks yet.

Kingr

mike-ktm - 19/9/05 at 04:41 PM

mig or tig weld ?

did you just make them all to suit the longest pipe (eg most forward cylinder) ?

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. any websites for the companies ?

marc n - 19/9/05 at 07:32 PM

the gains you get with equal or near equal primarys is quite impressive especially if you go 4 - 2 -1 we have gained in back to back test 5 hp over a 4 -1 manifold on a blade and 7hp on an r1 all tests done on the same day at the same rolling road who incidently i would recommend to all in the yorkshire area Alwyn Kershaws just near elvington

mike-ktm - 19/9/05 at 08:15 PM

further to my earlier questions kingr, what size pipe did you use ? 1.5" ?

How did you do the section which bolts to the head ?

Cheers,

Mike

kingr - 20/9/05 at 10:17 AM

Cheers for the comments guys.

Yes, I used 1.5" tube. 2.5" for the link pipe, reducing (very slightly) to 65mm (or whatever the weird metric size of the R1 end can inlet is).

I had an old manifold for an R1, so I cut the manifold end bits and retainers off that and used them as the first section. If I'd had access to a lathe, I'd probably have machined them.

I TIG welded them (well, I had to justify buying my nice TIG set somehow !) with 316L filler. I believe that MIG may produce a slightly brittle weld, but I could be wrong.

I laid out the most forward tube first which dictated where the collector would go.

Kingr