Board logo

R1 clutch release problem
Winston Todge - 13/6/06 at 07:18 AM

Hey all,

Just curious. I have added a second diaphragm spring to my R1 with no problems.

I have taken up the slack on the clutch release arm and then engaged the pedal by around 16 to 17mm. All seems fine.

But when I put it into gear and try to rotate the sprocket adapter with the clutch depressed, it seems that it doesn't want to budge. Is this normal trying to rotate it by hand when the clutch is depressed?

Thanks for any help,

Chris.

fesycresy - 13/6/06 at 07:38 AM

Had the same problem, Colin at mac1 said I didn't have enough travel on the arm.

I didn't think this was the problem but modified it anyway (turned on the splines) and it worked.

It looked as if I had plenty of travel the first time around but I was wrong, worth a try.

Winston Todge - 13/6/06 at 09:05 AM

Thanks for that fesy. Will give it another go as I didn't check to see whether I had run out of cable travel or whether the internals of the clutch were stopping me from pressing the pedal any further.

Ta,

Any other thoughts if I do have enough travel?

Chris.

JoaoCaldeira - 13/6/06 at 09:41 AM

It's normal, while engaged but with the clutch fully pressed and the engine stopped, to have to make a huge force to rotate the prop. It will then free and rotate quite easely.
Joao

Ferrino - 13/6/06 at 11:42 AM

What does your measurement of 16-17mm relate to? I understand that 12mm of linear cable travel is sufficient to disengage the clutch. Any more and you run the risk of this.

Coose - 13/6/06 at 06:11 PM

Ferrino is absolutely right (because I told him that! )

If you measure the cable travel on most bikes, you'll find that it's around 12mm or so....