Board logo

1st Gear Clunk
Ferrino - 30/6/06 at 12:03 PM

So I moved the car under it's own power (just into the garage!) and I am aware that there is supposed to be a clunk when you go from Neutral into 1st, to do with the dog engagement. But is it normal for the car to jolt forward ever so slightly when it engages (clutch pedal fully pressed)?

I thought that with the clutch fully disengaged that there was no way it could transmit to the prop?

Howlor - 30/6/06 at 12:05 PM

Fairly normal. Bike clutch differs from a car clutch as when it is fully depressed it has to use the torque to separate the drive plates.

Steve

skydivepaul - 30/6/06 at 12:09 PM

The car will normally clunk forward a little.
try this:
select neutral
depress the clutch and leave the the clutch in for about 20 - 30 seconds
selectfirst gear.
Mine will slip into first without a clunk when you do this, although it is not always practical when out driving.

zxrlocost - 30/6/06 at 12:14 PM

mine sometimes clunks forward as above

and sometimes goes in so smooth you cant tell

richijenkin - 30/6/06 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
mine sometimes clunks forward as above

and sometimes goes in so smooth you cant tell

Thats what my misses tells me sometimes.

stevebubs - 30/6/06 at 12:33 PM

yup

gary gsx - 30/6/06 at 12:38 PM

My bike does it its to do with the clutch plates as already been said its worse when chains loose but you dont have a chain

stevec - 30/6/06 at 12:53 PM

Idle speed will also be a factor, The higher the idle speed the bigger chance of a clunk.
Steve.

Coose - 30/6/06 at 01:07 PM

Yep, all of the above! My dry-clutched TZ250 does it dreadfully unless you almost stall it....

They all do that sir!
p.s. Glad you've finally had it moving!

Hellfire - 30/6/06 at 03:27 PM

Good news to get it under it's own power... ain't it great?

The clunk is typical but can be reduced by installing a TRT (Torque resiliant Tube) which is basically a cushion between your gearbox and differential. This will lead to increased life of your gearbox selectors and drive dogs which is always a mute point in BEC's.

The clunk into reverse shouldn't be a problem though

Steve

tks - 30/6/06 at 03:44 PM

on engine speed:
oil temp
engine temp

and offcourse clutch state...

Peteff - 30/6/06 at 05:01 PM

It's a moot point as well, see here . My shaft drive bike does it but it's worse with the brake on as it tries to move the wheel so if you are rolling try to get into first then stop.

tks - 30/6/06 at 05:31 PM

that in a bec its hard to become rolling...

on the bike your feets touch ground...

Tks

zetec7 - 30/6/06 at 05:49 PM

This is normal. My Kawasaki Concours does it, as have all my shaft-driven bikes. On chain-driven bikes it's sometimes not as noticable, becasue there's slack in the chain to be taken up...once it's shaft-driven, the clunk goes directly to the wheels. The clunk is from friction within the clutch basket & plates. It will be better when the oil is warm, worse when the engine is cold.

Ferrino - 30/6/06 at 10:19 PM

Thankyou chaps! (BTW, I have a TRT in the rear prop).