Board logo

fireblade to blackbird engine swap?
d8mok - 13/9/06 at 12:20 PM

Just wondered how easy it would be to swap from a 919cc RRT fireblade engine to a blackbird unit?

progers - 13/9/06 at 01:16 PM

It would be about as difficult to swap to a blackbird as any other bike engine as they share very little mechanically.

So its a new cradle/engine mount, new exhaust manifold and wiring etc. Depending on the position of the engine you may need to alter the prop too.

Given the wide choice of engines out there you would be better off choosing another unit such as Zx12, R1 or even GXSR motor, depending on how deep your wallet is.

Are you looking for the easiest swap to make or just wanting more power?

- Paul

the_fbi - 13/9/06 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by progers
It would be about as difficult to swap to a blackbird as any other bike engine as they share very little mechanically.

It'll depend on which blackbird.
My Megablade is actually a Megabird just with a 919 stuck in its place. As far as I know the bottom engine cradle is the same, the top one has had 1 end slightly modified to pick up on the 2 head bolts which are in a different place.

If you are looking at an injected bird then it will be different.

yorkshire-engines - 13/9/06 at 07:51 PM

better and easier to install a 929 or 954 motor
or go the hole hog and fit a 1000rr

malc

d8mok - 15/9/06 at 05:44 PM

yeh i'm wanting a straight swap if possible, and more power. My problem is that i think the old blade engine might be too old now and i feel like upgrading it.

unless any1 has a fireblade engine for sale??

ChrisGamlin - 15/9/06 at 06:05 PM

even the 929/954s arent a straight swap though, they have a different block which means different engine mounts, different exhaust etc, and the wiring needs completely re-doing as they are injected. I looked into it when doing my carbed-blade-to-injected-R1 conversion and decided the R1 was no harder/more expensive to do, and has two advantages with a smidge more power and is a lot more proven in BECs than the 929/954. If you did a carbed R1 it would if anything be easier as you could keep all the current fuel system and the wiring would be more simple.

Toady1 - 18/9/06 at 07:51 AM

ive got a 4k mile old 954cc rr3 complete engine im going to put in mine, its absolutely mint and has HISS and clocks, basically everything to do a bec install. I oaid £1250 for the whole kit bout 2 months ago, but may have to sell all i have due to a new venture. Let me know if your interested?

scotlad - 18/9/06 at 01:06 PM

I'm delighted with my 954 a bit of work to change from the old 893 but worth it
ps 2 hours mental driving at knockhill with no apparent oil surge. And it was the fastest car on the track, seeing off 2 westfields in the process

Toady1 - 18/9/06 at 01:50 PM

not if he accusump or dry sumps it. Then it could also be turbo'd for over 200bhp! nice!