Board logo

filter back plate
soggy 3 - 7/12/06 at 01:26 AM

Hi folks has anybody got a pic of a zx9 filter back plate that has been cut to fit as i am trying to find out what to cut out.
cheers

mcerd1 - 7/12/06 at 09:07 AM

Not done it yet but I've just got a ZX9R airbox and will copy that

are your carbs the older style ones 94 to 99 ?
Description
Description

or the newer 00 to 04 style like mine ?

soggy 3 - 7/12/06 at 09:40 AM

They are the 00-04 types like yours.

mcerd1 - 7/12/06 at 10:07 AM

Well on the older type its fairly obvious - just cut out everythin inside that rubber seal (leaving enough for the seal and the lump for the screw)

The later ones have similar airbox rubbers to the R1's & trumpets & funny shaped back plate, I haven't really worked it out yet

I'll dismantle the airbox I got (ZX9R E) tonight and post some pics in the morning

-Robert

soggy 3 - 7/12/06 at 10:53 AM

CHeers

jacko - 7/12/06 at 05:41 PM

Hi i have the zx9r-e carbs fitted and i used the original air box back that fits the carbs then fitted the new filter back plate to that Jacko

mcerd1 - 8/12/06 at 11:36 AM

Here is the pics of the ZX9R E airbox

(btw this will kill 56k dialup)

With the yop cover off the box:

the back plate: (removed from the bottom of airbox)

mounted of carbs: (with 1 rubber removed)

back plate with the rubbers off:

trumpet in carb (removed from back plate)

back plate with everything off:

As you can see the back plate is fairly simple
it has 4 large rounded rectangular holes for the rubber which are glued in (like the R1) and 2 captive nuts for holding the trumpet in place - evetything else is redundant

So I recon I could take a blank filter back plate, cut the main holes and drill holes for the trumpet mounts - then bolt the trumpets through the back plate with some washers to pack it out to the right place

then all I'd need is something to thicken the back plate around the large holes for the rubbers to grip/ glue onto

This way you only need the rubbers (with clamps) and the trumpets, of course if you don't want to pay new Kawasaki prices you'll probibly just get a complete airbox of ebay anyway, like this one: click
(although that's a bit more expencive than the one I got from the same guy and it has all the air tunnel bits that you don't need either)

-Robert

soggy 3 - 8/12/06 at 05:10 PM

Thanks that is just what i was looking for ,time to start cutting!

mcerd1 - 10/12/06 at 03:59 PM

I checked with my Kawasaki dealer - the trumpets are £12 each new (or make somthing up to match)

I recon you could do without the rest and just screw the back plate on to the front of the carbs like on the older ones

soggy 3 - 11/12/06 at 01:30 PM

I am using modded base reflex tubes for the trumpets i needed to know if the holes in the back plate were exactly the same size as the trumpets as it looked like the air needed to get to the area surounding the inlet, by the shape of the back plate on the origonal air box it does.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=52834

[Edited on 11/12/06 by soggy 3]

mcerd1 - 11/12/06 at 03:24 PM

Sounds like a cheeper way to go - the airbox cost me £30

the only thing i noticed that seemed special about the trumpets is the little tab that fits into the gap in the carb

soggy 3 - 11/12/06 at 03:28 PM

Yes i only noticed that when i saw the pics,will probably glue a bit in with araldite.