Board logo

Dry sumping
roadrunner - 17/2/07 at 05:22 PM

Does a GSXR 1000 need dry sumping, if so how much should it cost.

Hellfire - 17/2/07 at 05:27 PM

No it doesn't - a recent MK had a Gixxer with wet sump and it goes well. As far as I know it is still ok...

Steve

dilley - 17/2/07 at 05:39 PM

Didn't mk's rizla demo car go bang at Snetterton running a 1000 ?

bike_power - 17/2/07 at 05:51 PM

I thought MK had a load of 1000 engines pop on track in the 750 kit car series because of the cut down wet sump ?

Maybe it wasn't MK ?? I'm sure it was one of the owners sons who was driving one of the cars and it went through 3 or 4 engines before they switched to a dry sump. Maybe I'm wrong, memory isn't perfect these days

Hellfire - 17/2/07 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bike_power
I thought MK had a load of 1000 engines pop on track in the 750 kit car series because of the cut down wet sump ?

Maybe it wasn't MK ?? I'm sure it was one of the owners sons who was driving one of the cars and it went through 3 or 4 engines before they switched to a dry sump. Maybe I'm wrong, memory isn't perfect these days

I think that was the Blackbird engine(s) to which you refer.

ch1ll1 - 17/2/07 at 07:44 PM

i thought they only needed a sump baffle

PAUL FISHER - 18/2/07 at 12:04 AM

The gsxr 1000's do need some sort of help with oil feed if your going to use it on track,the MK demo car blew up while I was driving it at snetterton,it was on slicks for the 1st time,after that it was then fitted with a accusump and they had no further problems with it,so they need at least a baffle,or accusump.