Board logo

using bike clocks?
CraigJ - 20/8/07 at 12:20 PM

Im using a 88 zx10 lump in my car, i know i can re-use all the clock parts except the speedo as it was cable driven. What other kawasaki clock could i use that have an electronic speedo? and how would i go about wiring the speedo in? would i need any other parts to make it work?

Cheers

smart51 - 20/8/07 at 01:43 PM

Does the cable come off the engine (or gearbox)? Could you use the donor clocks and fit a new fascia? A decent colour printer and good paper fed through a laminator can make top quality prints. You just have to divide the speeds currently marked on your dial with your change in diff ratio and wheel size.

Bob C - 20/8/07 at 02:25 PM

on an old bike cable is likely to come off front wheel.......

CraigJ - 20/8/07 at 09:11 PM

it comes off the front wheel.

Ive sold the the clocks on but was wondering wether i could use any clocks off a newer kawasaki?

matt_gsxr - 21/8/07 at 05:17 PM

Not many bikes used electronically driven clocks with a needle (like I expect you want).

They seem to have gone from cable driven to LCD often in one step.

There are a few candidates. Not sure about Kawasaki, but Suzuki SV650 (non-faired version) could be used, although the housing might not work for you. The sv650 faired version comes with a rev-counter and these can are both nice and electronic.

I think that there are 1 or 2 other options, all around 1994-1999, but not nearly as many as you might think. Harley Davidson have some nice ones (current models), which don't seem to be too pricey (LCD isn't the best for these guys!).

Regarding getting the speed from the vehicle, the solution seems to be magnet or magnets on the prop or front wheel driving either a hall effect device, (other devices can be used, but maybe don't work as well).

You then need to scale the speed. Yellow Box (maybe £40) is a product that does this. You could build a frequency adapter yourself which isn't difficult if you know about that kind of thing.

It ends up costing lots of cash.

I have gone down this route, and it is a lot of messing around, but thats half the fun of the build.

The cheap option is the bicycle computer, which comes with everything needed for a few quid, but gives you an LCD display (you need it backlit for SVA, and it needs to read to maximum speed of vehicle).

Alternatively you can get a speedo from one of the standard kit-car sources for about £120, which includes calibration switches on the back. Probably the best option.

Mattt

mad-butcher - 21/8/07 at 06:20 PM

I needed a rev counter for the blade and this unit came with a free speedo built in, comes complete with speedo pick-up
www.acewell-uk.co.uk/prod01.htm
Tony

[Edited on 21/8/07 by mad-butcher]