Board logo

R1 FI 2003 Air filter
Kriss - 18/12/07 at 09:53 PM

Hi guys,

Wanted to know my options for air filters on the 2003 R1 engine. Its being built with a standard box, however, after owning a Clio V6 with a huge Pipercross induction kit I want that induction roar still. plus the added responce was so notiecable it was unreal - however thats a £270 bit of kit working on a 3ltr engine

so, is this gonna happen with a foam filter like westfield do?

is it best to stick with the standard air box?

will i look an utter goonie if i have a samco engine with standard box?

options and effects requested!

cheers boys!

hobbsy - 18/12/07 at 09:55 PM

Bonnet clearance is one of the main issues why people go for the sausage filters.

Either that or you often have to cut quite a big hole to let the std airbox poke out.

Some people argue that the FI engine runs better with the airbox rather than a sausage filter.

I believe Andy Bates of AB Performance is or has developed an custom airbox that add decent ram air for the R1. He's certainly got one for the Fireblade - could be worth a call.

[Edited on 18/12/07 by hobbsy]

chockymonster - 19/12/07 at 01:02 AM

In the MNR the 2003 R1 lump sits higher. I seem to remember it's because the sump is deeper. This causes more problems when it comes to the airbox. I had to fit a scoop because the sausage filter fouled the bonnet!

TimC - 19/12/07 at 10:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I believe Andy Bates of AB Performance is or has developed an custom airbox that add decent ram air for the R1. [Edited on 18/12/07 by hobbsy]

Has he now? That is interesting. The other opttion which I quite like the look of is the Pipercross airbox system that uses a normal sausage-type baseplate.

It may not fit under the bonnet but would look a lot neater sticking-out than that standard airbox.

hobbsy - 19/12/07 at 11:29 AM

TimC,

How much is the Pipercross airbox?

Is that a connection for a ram pipe I see on the far end?

The AB one isn't particularily cheap (especially if you want it in carbon!) but he does have quite a bit of experience in this area.

The other advantage of the airbox is lower noise for trackdays (surprising how much induction noise there is - can catch you out on the drive by limits)

TimC - 19/12/07 at 11:34 AM

I think it's about £180 including the baseplate and the feeder pipe.

Noise is a worry but the thinnest panel filter only just fits under the taller version of the MNR bodywork so that's what I've gone for to start with.