Board logo

sump baffle and tulip
bassett - 1/2/08 at 02:34 PM

Hi, ive got a R1 engine and im fitting the sump baffle at the weekend then i remembered on the fluke motorsport website they had the baffle and a tulip. So do i need the tulip and what does it do? i heard off of chris at mnr they might cause more problems fitting them, has anyone experienced this?
cheers
Adam

whitestu - 1/2/08 at 02:40 PM

Check with some of the Dutch guys on here - they should know.

welderman - 1/2/08 at 02:44 PM

stuart_g - 1/2/08 at 02:52 PM

Tulip on a 5VY motor is not needed but may be needed on earlier motors. I was advised by Malc at yorkshire engines that it is not needed, he supplied MNR with the baffle I have, and probably yours, so if you want clarification send him a U2U.

Picture of baffle fitted in my archive.

Edited to say that it does not have to be bolted down to the crank web either, as the Fluke web site suggests.

[Edited on 1/2/08 by stuart_g]

nitram38 - 1/2/08 at 03:03 PM

Tulip required on 03 engines but on 04 onwards they are already on the engine.
I supply sump baffles for 04-08 engines. All you need to do is remove the strainer and other pipes that stick through to the sump. Put the plate in and replace the strainer etc.
These parts hold the baffle plate in place.

Bob C - 1/2/08 at 04:36 PM

tulip delivers spare oil from the pressure relief valve to the underside of the baffle.
I used the ally can of a big old capacitor.
Bob

marc n - 1/2/08 at 04:47 PM

hi adam you can have a tulip by all means we must have 40 - 50 here
BUT I WOULD ADVISE YOU DONT FIT
the problem ive had with the tulips is ive had two drop to bits in my sump before, one completely blocked the strainer and ran my bearings, so have never fitted them since
an expensive lesson to learn

cheers

marc

bassett - 1/2/08 at 05:01 PM

Cheers guys and Marc as my dad talked to chris about it, and like chinese whispers my dads explanation to me was rubbish so i didnt understand its use

[Edited on 1/2/08 by bassett]

[Edited on 1/2/08 by bassett]

locoR1 - 1/2/08 at 05:10 PM

As Marc says they can drop to bits mine did and the baffle fractured as well not good inside an engine
Luckily for me I had the sump of when I turbo’d it otherwise god knows what could of happened!

Have a look at this previous thread discussing the same thing "Link"

Here’s a picture of what happened to mine!

Dave....

hobbsy - 1/2/08 at 09:16 PM

I virtually had the same thing happen to both my plate and tulip (both All Bikes - one of the first 02-03 5PW baffles available I think).

I did post a thread with almost identical photos but CBA to find it

New plate is one piece CNC'ed without rivets and didn't bother with the tulip after seeing oil pressure log traces from a car with the same engine and baffle plate and no tulip under race conditions.

nitram38 - 1/2/08 at 09:24 PM

The new plates just fit over the 'tulip' on 04 engines onwards. Are you suggesting removing it?

hobbsy - 1/2/08 at 09:40 PM

I don't know about the 04- only the 02-03 (5PW) as I said in my post....

nitram38 - 1/2/08 at 09:53 PM

Here are my 05 before and after pictures.

Description
Description

[img][/img]

progers - 2/2/08 at 10:14 AM

Contrary to popular opinion, you don't really need a Tulip on any of the R1 engines. I have not used one and have not seen any adverse affects when racing. A good baffle with adequate drain holes to allow oil to return to the sump is fine.

I would avoid fitting it, its one less thing to go wrong.

Paul

nitram38 - 2/2/08 at 10:24 AM

Why have yamaha fitted one to the 04 engine and beyond?
They must think that it is an improvement to use it.
Isn't it a pressure release valve in reality which keeps the oil pressure up rather than something that returns oil to the sump or have I mis-understood what it does?

[Edited on 2/2/2008 by nitram38]

ChrisGamlin - 2/2/08 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Why have yamaha fitted one to the 04 engine and beyond?
They must think that it is an improvement to use it.
Isn't it a pressure release valve in reality which keeps the oil pressure up rather than something that returns oil to the sump or have I mis-understood what it does?

I think you're misunderstanding, all the engines have a PRV (pressure release valve) to control the peak oil pressure, primarily at low oil temps when pressures are naturally higher. The tulip is a shroud that sits around the neck of the PRV to direct any oil it dissipates down past the baffle plate rather than on top of the baffle plate.

How much oil actually comes out of the PRV when the oil is hot Im not sure, because I think it releases at about 80psi but I don't see that pressures when running, so I suspect not a lot, therefore it wont make much difference having it or not.

Ive actually got one fitted to my 03 engine but its a machined part and looks a bit stronger than the ones above that have failed, but I wouldnt be concerned running without it

bassett - 4/2/08 at 02:43 PM

Paul(progers) how many miles racing has yours done without the tulip? and thanks chris for the explanation.
Adam