Board logo

Propshaft To Diff Bolts
mistergrumpy - 9/2/08 at 10:57 AM

What grade are people using for these?The standard ones are 10.(x) grade but the threads are squashed on mine. I have some 8.8 grade handy though and wondered if someone with a bit more knowledge thinks they could be used as there is less weight in the car its moving? Otherwise it means a trip to the dealer as most companies don't supply bolts with that fine a thread.
Edit to say its amazing what a quich search can do I've seen Burtons sell them but at £1.09 each with postage on top! So would 8.8 suffice?

[Edited on 9/2/08 by mistergrumpy]

mad-butcher - 9/2/08 at 11:18 AM

Better paying for the right grade ones if the prop did let go due to wrong bolts it's going to make a fine mess of your side and your passengers
Tony

britishtrident - 9/2/08 at 12:58 PM

8.8 is fine.

Peteff - 9/2/08 at 06:07 PM

Once the two faces are clamped together there shouldn't be any stress on the bolts anyway. Find the correct torque setting for the bolt and use some thread lock and you should be safe. Check the thread is right on your bolts as they are really fine 1.0, not 1.25 or 1.5 M10.

mistergrumpy - 9/2/08 at 10:39 PM

Yes the 8.8 have the right thread and they're going to be well thread locked. I understand that the prop will make a mess if it lets go but equally it'll still make a mess if it lets go with 10 grade bolts. I think there's a lot of people overkill their car in places. Its not all bad right enough but with a bit of knowledge I think it's unnecessary.

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 9/2/08 at 10:51 PM

8.8s are fine but for a few pennies more i'd go with 12.9s

wayno

mistergrumpy - 9/2/08 at 11:20 PM

Well its 8.8 grade for free or £7-8 for 10.9 grade.

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 10/2/08 at 09:39 AM

small price to pay aye

richard thomas - 10/2/08 at 10:35 AM

Ford made them that grade for a reason, not because they wanted to spend more money......

http://www.americanfastener.com/technical/grade_markings_steel.asp

Quote 'Once the two faces are clamped together there shouldn't be any stress on the bolts anyway' Unquote - not sure I entirely agree with this....

[Edited on 10/2/08 by richard thomas]

cossey - 10/2/08 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Once the two faces are clamped together there shouldn't be any stress on the bolts anyway. Find the correct torque setting for the bolt and use some thread lock and you should be safe. Check the thread is right on your bolts as they are really fine 1.0, not 1.25 or 1.5 M10.

a properly torqued bolt should have a fair bit of tensile stress in the bolt otherwise the 2 surface would not be pressed together so there would be little to no friction and the bolts would take all of the torque.

i would get some cap head 12.9s as these will probably be cheaper than a quid each, namrick has m10 fines for about 50p each

ChrisGamlin - 10/2/08 at 06:23 PM

Cap heads are generally easier to do up in the proximity of the UJ knuckles etc anyway, so another reason to use them.

Chris