Board logo

FIREBLADE OIL AND FILTER
cashy - 16/7/08 at 08:00 PM

Hi all,

Fancy doing an oil and filter change on my blade engine, cannot remember what oils i used to use previously. Car will be used on track and on road. Need something that doesnt break down at hight temps.

Anyone use ESTER based oils?

I recall a place i used to mail order stuff from, LINGS i think or does anyone recomend any other places, opie oils for example.

the_fbi - 16/7/08 at 08:31 PM

Personally I get all my oil from Opie.

Excellent service, the guys know their stuff and you can now get the filters etc at the same time. That said, I bought a K&N for my blade not a cheap OEM one.

I'm sure there was an email last weekend about free delivery but don't remember the details

I know when I first "registered" with them a discount was applied to the account as a Migweb forum member, so worth sending Guy/Simon an email to see if they'll do a similar thing as you're a lcb member.

I've only ever done a couple of startups on my blade and can't remember what oil I've used

Andy Bates for advice on oil would be the other place to go. No idea if he sells it though or how he'd compare.

moochofun - 17/7/08 at 11:21 AM

I have used Millers Oils for years now, both in bike racing and in my Megablade so would reccomend them. They also provide one of the few engine oilsdesigned for a bikes wet clutch that has some extra additives in to help stop clutch slip with their fully synthetic. ZFS is the oil I use - never had any oil related engine problems since.......

HTH

cashy - 17/7/08 at 07:50 PM

thanks all

cashy - 28/8/08 at 11:03 AM

been told to keep away from fully synthetic as it causes clutch slip, is this the case?

Jubal - 28/8/08 at 11:50 AM

No, but it must be bike specific. I'll probably be shot down in flames but when I had a 98 blade I figured I'd use the type of oil that was around when the bike was developed. So I used semi-synth. Castrol GPS to be precise. It's always in stock at Halfrauds or wherever and in more than two years of hard track day abuse it never let me down. I changed it regularly of course.

cashy - 28/8/08 at 09:12 PM

OPIE

are reccomending a esther based fully synthetic race oil specially for bikes.

Silkolene

Anyone else use it?
For the blade a good 10w-40 synthetic, if you are still running the ike gearbox then go for a bike specific oil.

I would have a look at the Silkolene Comp 4 10w-40 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-785-silkolene-comp-4-10w-40-synthetic-ester-based-4-stroke-engine-oil-for-high-performance-motorcycles.aspx

carpmart - 29/8/08 at 06:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cashy
OPIE

are reccomending a esther based fully synthetic race oil specially for bikes.

Silkolene

Anyone else use it?
For the blade a good 10w-40 synthetic, if you are still running the ike gearbox then go for a bike specific oil.

I would have a look at the Silkolene Comp 4 10w-40 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-785-silkolene-comp-4-10w-40-synthetic-ester-based-4-stroke-engine-oil-for-high-performance-motorcycles.aspx

This is the oil I use in my fireblade engine in my Drakart. All good!