Board logo

painting gelcoat
thegasmen - 8/10/08 at 05:28 PM

Hi All
Has any one painted on to the gelcoat with sucsess if so did you use a primer and does the paint stay on and not chip off easily.

regards Mick

MikeR - 8/10/08 at 05:33 PM

found a link on the westfield forum on doing this,

used primer, then after 20 mins did a top coat, then after 20 mins another top coat, then after 20 mins a clear coat and again.

leave to dry and polish.

Surprised me as i thought you had to let it dry, flat it down, then you could spray again.

Mark (Allinson) should be able to give us a better guide.

(i need to do it soon so i'm interested in the answer)

blakep82 - 8/10/08 at 05:41 PM

plastic primer is best i think. i just bought aerosol cans from halfords, it says to sand with 600 grit paper before priming.
but my panels were also already painted, sooooooo rub with fine paper, plastic primer, then spray as above worked for me, but i'm no sprayer and have noooo idea if i'm doing it right lo

Syd Bridge - 8/10/08 at 05:52 PM

I've put this up too many times, but here goes again...

The best way to paint over gelcoat is use a two pack epoxy primer. You can put whatever you want over the top of that.

This is the way the marine industry has done it for more years than I remember, and the aircraft industry as well.

If you can find it, Awlgrip is one of the better and well known brands. Marinewares in Southampton sell it/import it.

Cheers,
Syd.

twybrow - 8/10/08 at 08:16 PM

Spraying gelcoat is also an option worth considering...