Board logo

Stripped thread M16 caliper
twybrow - 22/5/09 at 06:39 PM

I cheered this evening, as I finally managed to bleed my new brake setup (twin M/C, with bias bar). A few moments later, I began to cry, as I realised that I have stripped the thread on the bleed nipple on the caliper!

Anyone know of a solution to a stripped internal thread for these bleed nipples? Can you drill/tap and buy oversized bleed nipples (current is M10 I believe)? Any other solutions? Many thanks.

Snap-off - 22/5/09 at 06:44 PM

What about a Helicoil?

britishtrident - 22/5/09 at 06:47 PM

http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_63&products_id=868 Rescued attachment Bleedert.jpg
Rescued attachment Bleedert.jpg

prawnabie - 22/5/09 at 07:27 PM

If you have just got a pair of second hand calipers on and not rebuilt them, it may be cheaper to find another second hand one.

twybrow - 22/5/09 at 09:22 PM

Thanks guys. I have a set of Wilwood Powerlites to put on, but as I only have a week until the SVA retest, I was planning to go through the test on the M16s, then change it to the Wilwoods later on. I am reluctant to pick up another caliper just for the test....

Otherwise, if all else fails, I need a new set of braided brake hoses to connect into the Wilwoods....

I wonder what is going to go wrong next!!!??

twybrow - 23/5/09 at 01:55 PM

Woo hoo! It turned out when I took it apart and cleaned the thread, that most of the damage was on the nipple. I have got an old one back in now, which is working a treat. Next problem is my brake light switch is now leaking.... Again!