Board logo

To use a donor or not
neilp1 - 17/9/10 at 09:16 AM

As I don't what a Q plate I'm considering using a sierra doner, but don't fancy stipping it as this would have to be done on my drive. So what other options do I have to avoid getting a Q plate?

blakep82 - 17/9/10 at 09:17 AM

using all brand new parts would get you a new reg

why don't you want a Q? a Q is exactly what i want!

loggyboy - 17/9/10 at 09:31 AM

Strip the car else where, Hire a unit for a weekend/week. Strip it bare taking lots of photos, keep all the v5 and associate paperwork. keep the parts you need, scrap/sell the bits you dont.

pdm - 17/9/10 at 09:46 AM

I'd say definitely go for using a donor as

1) you will know how it all fits together for when you come to put it in the kit

2) if it drives you can find out if its got problems,

3) it'll be cheaper than paying for all the bits seperately I reckon and you'll still have to recondition everything anyway

Not quite the same as you with the Sierra, but I've just stripped down an MX5 which has double wishbones etc just like my eventual kit. With not much mechanical background it's been invaluable in seeing how everything slots back together.

morcus - 23/9/10 at 12:06 AM

I'm sorta intrested aswell as to why so many people are so against getting a Q plate?
I can understand wanting a brand new one but why would you want an age related plate from the 80s/90s unless your planning to fit personalised plates (Which I'm not a fan of anyway).

When I see a Q plate on the road, my first thought is 'that guy built that', you see an old number plate on the road and no matter what it's on you assume its an old car.

morcus - 23/9/10 at 12:06 AM

Computor shut explorer down and when I came back I'd double posted.

[Edited on 23/9/10 by morcus]

expatkiwi - 23/9/10 at 05:21 AM

I might be wrong but I think if you have a Q plate you dont have to do an emissions test

expatkiwi - 23/9/10 at 05:21 AM

I might be wrong but I think if you have a Q plate you dont have to do an emissions test