Board logo

spitfire mk iv
McGee893 - 9/4/03 at 04:16 PM

I thegot a spit. (road legal tax mot etc.) the body's never gonna see another mot can I just build a locost body over the origional chassis running gear and call it a rebodied triumph,it's (free) taxed as a historical triumph

Arthur Dent - 9/4/03 at 07:25 PM

you'll at least need to strengthen the frame a bit as it depends on the body for some of its strength (unlike the Hearld). The body comes off real easy (something like six bolts) and suspension attachs to frame (unlike GT6+ rotoflex rear suspension). You'd probably have to cut off the front bumper mounts.

carcentric - 8/8/03 at 03:21 AM

There's a talented fellow here in Seattle who's done some modelling and thinks the waist of the frame and front suspension towers are the parts that need the most strengthening (see his work at http://swalwellguitars.com/spit6/frame.htm if you're interested).

Did you have another area in mind?

mrmotorhead13 - 8/8/03 at 04:30 AM

The rear track rods bolt to the body tub on all Spitfires/GT6's, the rest bolts to the frame, rotoflex or otherwise.

Bill J

carcentric - 8/8/03 at 05:19 AM

I believe the top of the rear shocks for Rotoflex GT6's mount to the body.

mrmotorhead13 - 9/8/03 at 03:14 AM

quote:

I believe the top of the rear shocks for Rotoflex GT6's mount to the body

They do, but adapters to change that are fairly easily available. They get in the way of wider tires for the racing crowd. TriumphTune (MossUK) and a guy on the Spitfire list from AZ both sell modifications to make it work.

Bill J

Cousin Cleotis - 10/8/03 at 07:40 PM

this has already been done with a GT6, which has the same chassis. the chassis was shortened, and strengthened with 1" RHS in place of the sills which are structural.

carcentric - 11/8/03 at 02:02 AM

Cousin Cleotis -
Is there an URL where it can be seen? Or a contact person (email address)?

Cousin Cleotis - 11/8/03 at 06:08 PM

the build story was in the monthly magazine from the Triumph Sports Six Club, i cant find my copy of it anywhere, you could ask on the forum here in the specials section.

www.tssc.org.uk

carcentric - 13/8/03 at 02:17 AM

I don't find a "specials" section on this forum - what else might it be called? I've done a search on Triumph without finding it (if it was in the thread Spot the Car, the eBay page linked to is long gone).

Also, are you sure the GT6 wheelbase was shortened? It's already 8.75" shorter than a Herald/Vitesse, and at 83" it's no stretch limo to begin with. I haven't received "the book" on Locosts yet - what's the "standard" wheelbase for them?

[Edited on 13/8/03 by carcentric]

pbura - 13/8/03 at 11:23 PM

Doc,

A standard Locost would be about 91", give or take an inch.

That's one very interesting project you have going on with the GT6!

Best of luck,

Pete

GO - 14/8/03 at 08:59 AM

Carcentric, I think Cousin Cleotis meant the specials section of the forum on the Triumph Six Sports Club which is here... www.tssc.org.uk

carcentric - 14/8/03 at 03:05 PM

Thanks for the clarification, GO. "Specials" at tssc was a disappointment, though - only 11 posts (since November 2002) and none in the last couple of months.