Board logo

Ford V6
mark_UK - 7/9/03 at 10:39 AM

What`s the best donor for the Ford V6?
I was thinking of looking for a Capri 2.8 or even the heavy old 3.0 Essex lump at a push.Has any one gone this route already?Any major hassles?

DaveFJ - 7/9/03 at 10:50 AM

Friend if mine a few years ago managed to get astounding power out of an essex...
690 Bhp! mind you it was bi-turbo and supercharged he even got a spread in fast ford with it. Cost him a mint though

blueshift - 7/9/03 at 04:25 PM

mark, we're stripping a sierra ghia 4x4 at the moment with the 2.8i V6 in it, we're looking to sell the engine for a bit of project fund money (we're going V8). Apparently it's in very good nick but the goit who sold the car to us took all the fuses and relays out and I need to find out why the bastard fuel pump isn't running..

Let me know if you're interested.

P.S., Anyone out there know where the fuel pump relay / fuse is on a pre-87 4wd injection sierra?

theconrodkid - 7/9/03 at 04:42 PM

inertia switch in the boot not poped/missing?or why not wire direct to the pump live

ChrisW - 7/9/03 at 08:16 PM

I got a 2.9 V6 from a Granada in the garage. Got all the bits, injection system, ECU, loom etc but I have nicked the sump off it. Take if away for £50?

You'll need a Capri V6 gearbox to go with it whether you have the 2.8 or 2.9 version of the Cologne.

Chris

[Edited on 7/9/03 by ChrisW]

stephen_gusterson - 7/9/03 at 08:46 PM

from what i have seen the 'best' V6 was the mechanical efi 2.8 one in the capri. however, capri 2.8 seem to be cherished and fetch 3x more than any other so may not bee scrapped often! The mech efi one gave 160 hp

the other 2.8 made 150, as did the 2.9.

The 2.9 is a later design with a more reliable cam drive, and has better exhaust porting, so Id uggest you use a 2.9 if you have a choice.

I have the 2.4 baby brother of the 2.9.

atb

steve

[Edited on 7/9/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Viper - 7/9/03 at 09:00 PM

I got one of those, still in the capri.
would be prepared to out it for the right deal.

blueshift - 8/9/03 at 12:01 AM

Hurrah, make that a running 2.8i
Spent all day pissing about trying to understand the wiring and find the right relays, in the end just hotwired it with my old CB PSU (didn't have a bit of wire long enough to reach the battery)

We can drive it around on the drive, but only within range of the mains extension

I don't know what kind of fuel injection our engine has.. it has some bosch fuel distributor (I think?) with lots of high-pressure fuel lines coming out of it.

Yell now if you have any questions / want to see it running, as we're planning on ripping the engine out next.

ChrisW - 8/9/03 at 09:54 AM

What age is the car? Mine was on en E plate and had the mechanical system.

On my Granada engine the plenum is about 300mm x 150mm, has two air inlets on the front and says EFI on the front whereas on the mechanical version (the one I am using) the plenum is almost square (say 200mm x 180mm), has a single inlet and throttle body on the RHS and just says Ford on it.

Pic below of the mechanical one still in the 4by. If you use that engine you'll need the Capri gearbox and a sump from a RWD car (the 2.9 sump fits the 2.8 engine hence why there's one missing from my 'spare' engine.

Chris

blueshift - 8/9/03 at 03:28 PM

Ah, that looks exactly like ours. Ours is an E plate too.

Is that a decent engine then Chris? how much do you think we should be asking for it (given the sump and gearbox mods most people will need)?

Viper - 8/9/03 at 05:09 PM

That's the bosch K-Jetronic system as fitted to the capris. the only reason the capri had an extra 10 ponies is because it had two exhaust systems, the XR4 had only one...

James - 8/9/03 at 05:30 PM

I'm curious as to why they bothered upping the capacity to 2.9 when it didn't add anything to the BHP. Was this a f*&k up or deliberate for some reason?

Cheers,

James

Viper - 8/9/03 at 05:44 PM

2.9 is a different engine, don't think there are any swappable bits..

ChrisW - 8/9/03 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Viper
2.9 is a different engine, don't think there are any swappable bits..

I beg to differ. I have them both alongside each other in the garage. The blocks look identical, sumps changed straight over, it's just the heads that appear to be different.

Blueshift - I was asking a ton for the engine with all the ancillaries and clutch but no one has gone for it

Chris

Viper - 8/9/03 at 07:40 PM

chris
on your 2.9 how is the cam driven?

[Edited on 8/9/2003 by Viper]

stephen_gusterson - 8/9/03 at 10:16 PM

my 2.4 is like the 2.9

its got a chain

apparently the 2.8 / 2.3 series used to have problems with the 'cardboard gears' trashing.

The heads are supposed to have improved porting too.

Its interesting to see the piccky of the MFI V6 - if its E reg. My EFI 2.4 was also E reg.

Perhaps E was the changeover year?

atb

steve

Viper - 8/9/03 at 10:22 PM

The 2.9 is a stroked 2.8, it has a different crank different rods and pistons, as steve says the 2.9 cam is chain driven, the 2.8 is gear driven, therefore the 2.9 cam runs in the opposite direction to the 2.8 needing a different dizzy, the heads have better porting on the 2.9
as i said a different beast to the 2.8

blueshift - 9/9/03 at 10:00 AM

I think if we get 50 quid for the V6 from a locost builder we'll be fairly happy. Any interest? I recorded it running last night, will make that into an MP3 at some point.