Board logo

2 litre DOHC engine
les g - 25/1/08 at 08:54 PM

hey guy i am about to start building a locost using a 2 litre DOHC engine. has anyone done this before or got any handy hints or advice etc? many thaks les g

JohnN - 25/1/08 at 09:01 PM

Yes, brace yourself for an onslaught of negativity.

It is largely considered to be big & heavy with virtually zero tuning parts/potential.

I've used it and it's "adequate" however, if you want more power, then there are better engines.

coozer - 25/1/08 at 09:05 PM

Yes, the negative side is the lump is useless compared to every other Ford engine on the block. Low power, heavy weight, no tuning and expensive to service and repair.

Swap it for a zetec. You can get a whole mot failure Mondeo for less money than a DOHC service!

speedyxjs - 25/1/08 at 09:07 PM

Could be worse. Could be a jag engine

r1_pete - 25/1/08 at 10:34 PM

I was going to use one, but now using a zetec, they really aren't a good choice.
I was swayed by folk on here, and also by pricing up routine parts.
Rgds.
Pete.

blakep82 - 25/1/08 at 11:33 PM

zetec or vauxhall

i'm using vauxhall

andyps - 31/1/08 at 01:57 PM

I've got one I am planning to use - it came with the donor so I reckon 125bhp for £50 is ok. Surely that is the Locost ethic!

t.j. - 2/2/08 at 06:56 PM

Locost rules! 1 sierra 50 Euro + 2 spare engines.

I'm using it. First get it on the road......
It not much more lumpier as the OHC.

I shortened the sump and no bulge on the bonnet. angled the engine 3.5 degr forward.

And yes there are nicer engines, but A zetec isn't a great step IMO. I would then go for 5 cilinders like volvo or 4 cylinder toyota or honda power.