Board logo

Some progress on CANAMSA
Fred W B - 19/4/06 at 11:13 AM

Hi guys

See this post over in bodywork section for some progress, and input needed!

Cheers

Fred W B

Fred W B - 11/2/07 at 12:32 PM

Have added some more photos, of buck construction, to thread as above

Cheers

Fred W B

suparuss - 11/2/07 at 01:38 PM

excellent stuff fred, ill be posting buck pics soon too. im taking the 'making it up as you go along route' though so wont look as pretty as that!

gttman - 11/2/07 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
excellent stuff fred, ill be posting buck pics soon too. im taking the 'making it up as you go along route' though so wont look as pretty as that!

This is the way I am doing it.... bewarned though, its all very well at the moment but i do know I am going to have to put quite a lot of extra effort in later to strengthen it to avaid the same problems Steve had.
I'm fairly sure I couldn't have done it any other way though

Doug68 - 12/2/07 at 12:59 PM

Fred that’s a highly imaginative way of measuring for the body I would have never thought to have come up with that solution myself!

Have you considered getting the plug routed in one lump in a similar fashion to that shown on:

http://www.dpcars.net/dp1/dg.htm

On the face of it, it would appear an expensive way to go but considering the plywood time and effort it may not be such a bad idea as you’ve obviously got a good CAD model already.

Fred W B - 12/2/07 at 02:45 PM

Hi Doug

quote:

Have you considered getting the plug routed in one lump

- Yes I see the point and that would have been a possibility, but it depends on getting access to a 3 (or 5) axis machine big enough to cut the whole body. Which I didn't, at least not at the right price or local to me.

Okay, you could do it in pieces, on a smaller machine but you would still have to then join the bits together.

Also:

You would have to buy a much bigger quantity of foam (and I got my blocks gratis out of offcuts)

Once you push the button on the CNC machine, you can't change your mind

I kinda liked the idea of doing it the old way myself

And if it still does not make sense, does building a whole car yourself make sense anyway??

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/2/07 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 12/2/07 by Fred W B]

sgraber - 13/2/07 at 12:23 AM

quote:

I kinda liked the idea of doing it the old way myself

And if it still does not make sense, does building a whole car yourself make sense anyway??

Fred W B

Makes PERFECT sense to me!

Nice job btw.