Board logo

Front to mid engine?
Ballie51 - 5/11/06 at 09:13 PM

What is the feasibilty of taking a front wheel drive engine and mounting it mid engine rear wheel drive?

StevieB - 5/11/06 at 09:16 PM

Very easy!

Have a look at www.sylva.co.uk

The Mojo and Riot use a fiesta zetec engine mid-mounted

Really cheap and excellent cars too, if you're looking for something along those lines.

ReMan - 5/11/06 at 09:17 PM

Good

Johnmor - 5/11/06 at 10:25 PM

Hawk make a great Stratos replica with an Alfa v6 and the running gear from an Alfa 164.
rear whell drive mid engine and it uses the gear box and the whole subframe.

Dogs boll*ks

TheGecko - 5/11/06 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Sylva Mojo, GTM Rossa among others do exactly this.
And among those "others" are plenty of production cars: MR2, X1/9, Fiero, MG-F, Elise, Europa etc etc etc. Oh, and me

The big issues are:
- Suspension design. I'm re-using the (slightly modified) struts, but a de Dion would be straightforward or some variety of multi-link.

- Weight distribution. The engine, box, rear suspension assembly represents a significant fraction of the finished car's weight. Think hard about where other major masses (radiator/s, battery, spare, etc) will go to compensate.

- Gearchange. Choose a donor with a cable linkage. Longer cables are straightforward to have made. Rod linkages are much more troublesome to re-route.

Good luck,

Dominic

RazMan - 5/11/06 at 11:25 PM

....... and the Aeon GT2

Alan B - 6/11/06 at 12:31 AM

Nope...never been done.......

dl_peabody - 6/11/06 at 09:33 AM

Alan B

Pish, shame on you. He need only research you to realize how do-able it is.

Very do-able....but you have to be smart about it. Design your own rear suspension and front suspension, weight distribution and a hundered other things (but do-able).

Did I mention Chasis too?

[Edited on 6/11/06 by dl_peabody]

kb58 - 6/11/06 at 02:35 PM

A perfect example is the FWD Toyota engine being used as mid-engine in the Lotus Elise.

I used a FWD Honda Prelude engine and installed it mid-engine in a Mini.

tadltd - 6/11/06 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
A perfect example is the FWD Toyota engine being used as mid-engine in the Lotus Elise.

And in the Toyota MR2!

[Edited on 6/11/06 by tadltd]

John Bonnett - 8/11/06 at 05:34 PM

My trials car has a Peugeot 205gti engine and gearbox in the back complete with its sub-frame. The gearchange mechanism was very easy to run from the back to the front and amazingly the gear selection pattern is exactly the same as when the engine was in the front.

There are one or two pictures in my album if you are interested. the bodywork is nowhere near finished but we have used the car for a whole day without any mechanical or cooling problems.

John