Board logo

MR2 mk1 conversion
Dougie T - 2/1/08 at 08:51 AM

Hi I was going to build a car based on the haynes roadster book but I am finding it increasingly difficult to get a sierra donor. so I am now swaying towards converting the mid engined mr2 which seems to be surprisingly cheap and plentyfull.
Has anyone got any thoughts on this i.e is it not practical as I have never heard of anyone doing this. If this fails has anyone got a cheap sierra lying around..........

zilspeed - 2/1/08 at 08:56 AM

Main issue is the gearbox for use in the Haynes roadster, seeing as the MR2 is mid engined, although you can buy a bellhousing to mate it to a type 9.

To be honest, a lot of people don't actually bother with a complete donor car, but just pick up the necessary bits as required, so the lack of cheap sierras needn't be a huge problem.

Howlor - 2/1/08 at 08:59 AM

As above really just pick up the few bits that you need from the Sierra either off here or somewhere líke Ebay etc.

Engine, gearbox, steering column, front hubs, brakes, steering rack, and the rear diff, hubs n shafts.

Thats is basically the main bits you need.

speedyxjs - 2/1/08 at 09:08 AM

Anything can be done. Look at mine. I have had to modify the chassis but im fitting a jag engine and running gear.

russbost - 2/1/08 at 09:32 AM

Are you thinking of building a mid-engined car or are you thinking of trying to make the MR2 bits fit a Locost chassis? If it's the latter you would be making massive headaches for yourself. HTH

adithorp - 2/1/08 at 12:58 PM

A mate of mine has done a V6 Camry engine convertion on a Mk1 MR2.

Goes well and looks original (he took it into the Toyota dealer and they thought it was!). Sounds sweet too.

adrian

sgraber - 4/1/08 at 04:46 PM

I have plans for building a tube frame middy out of a MKI MR2. visit my website or PM me for more info.