Board logo

maxi ball joints in to sierra hubs
westclad - 12/5/09 at 08:14 PM

hi

Any one got any cost effective ways of getting the maxi ball joint to fit the sierra hub. has it got to be machined or is there a clever quicker alternative.

by the way i'm currently building a velocity XT

Cheers

Ade

Miks15 - 12/5/09 at 08:18 PM

i used the axminster handy reamer, done my BMW uprights with them in a drill, just take your time to make sure its in nice and straight.

here

COREdevelopments - 12/5/09 at 08:20 PM

Hi and welcome. If i were you i would take them to a local engineering place to get them reemed out properly. no cheaper alternatives in my opinion as its suspension your dealing with.
HTH

Rob
edit to say they seem very cheaply priced. were they any good at cutting the metal? always thought reamers were silly money

[Edited on 12/5/09 by COREdevelopments]

westclad - 12/5/09 at 08:27 PM

Thanks, i think i'll get them done properly, no point in taking risks

tilly819 - 12/5/09 at 08:27 PM

Yeh i used them to do mine and my top mushroom adapters worked fine on the mild steel uprights and stainless steel mushrooms, use lots off cutting fluid and keep them dead square (i did mine in the milling machine)

x_flow57 - 12/5/09 at 08:53 PM

I used the Axminster one as well, Worked a lot better than I expected for, if I remember correctly, £8.50 inc delivery.

I tried several machine shops and none of them could do the uprights for anywhere near a sensible price.

Nick

COREdevelopments - 13/5/09 at 08:37 PM

think i will have to invest in a set.

Rob