Board logo

New bonnet for Viento
Paul (Notts) - 5/7/08 at 11:02 AM

Wanted – New bonnet for Viento and two new aerocatches

Any one got a turquoise one going spare ?

Paul

Also need a big sign saying “ Check the bonnet is fastened down “

COREdevelopments - 5/7/08 at 11:13 AM

i have a set of brand new flush locking aerocathes.
u2u if interested.
rob

Paradoxia0 - 5/7/08 at 11:28 AM

Eek! That could have been messy!

I cannot offer a new bonnet, but I can offer my sypmaties as I nearly had similar happen but noticed the flapping....

Mark

rusty nuts - 5/7/08 at 11:34 AM

Whoops! You tend to only do that once.

piddy - 5/7/08 at 11:35 AM

So So easy to forget to do your bonnet up.
I did it once and reached speeds up to 70mph. When I got to my destination I noticed that the catches were undone. I was very lucky I recon.

[Edited on 5/7/08 by piddy]

wilkingj - 5/7/08 at 11:47 AM

Mine Lifts even with the catches done UP!

Just need some bigger vents.

Sorry to hear.. not a cheap mistake is it.

Make on from Polished Stainless??

Fit some switches under the catches.. and a warning light on the dashboard.

[Edited on 5/7/2008 by wilkingj]

jollygreengiant - 5/7/08 at 12:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your bonnet Paul. I hope you can get it sorted before Peterborough.

The Inspectors must have known that it was going to happen, perhaps they looked on here and saw your banner and noticed that the catches were undone in your banner.

NeilP - 5/7/08 at 12:08 PM

Sorry to hear the news Paul - Were you on the way to Bruntingthorpe?...

rusty nuts - 5/7/08 at 01:51 PM

Did you manage to salvage the bonnet? may be repairable until you can get a new one?

Paul (Notts) - 5/7/08 at 01:57 PM

Yep.. managed to get the bonnet back. I am planning to repair it for use this year and then replace it over Christmas with a new one.

Now need to figure out what’s the best way to repair it. Main damage is to one side which took the impact with the ground.

The whole of that side will need strengthening along the bend as well as the damage at the end repairing. Rest is cosmetic.

Paul (Notts) - 5/7/08 at 02:03 PM

pic Rescued attachment new1 031 dam.JPG
Rescued attachment new1 031 dam.JPG

Humbug - 5/7/08 at 02:08 PM

repair then paint a deliberately contrasting colour? should be more locost than a new bonnet

rusty nuts - 5/7/08 at 02:55 PM

Looks like someone is going to get some practice with glassfibre?

jollygreengiant - 5/7/08 at 04:41 PM

Ok it looks a bit bad at the mo, but by the time you have put some reinforcing matting & resin on the back of that it won't be that far off. Then 'V' cut/grind out the actual fractures/tears/cracks (not forgetting to end them with nice little round holes) and back fill with a good resin/filler to bring it all back to original shape/finish. The job will then be a good'un and just about ready to go for a respray.

For a man of your calibre, Paul it will be easier than teaching 9th grade know it alls.

[Edited on 5/7/08 by jollygreengiant]

asn163 - 5/7/08 at 06:39 PM

Hi Paul, sorry to hear about your mishap, I hope the only damage done was to the bonnet.

After this happens you become paranoid about the bonnet being correctly fastened.

ATB

Simon

Paul (Notts) - 5/7/08 at 06:54 PM

All my own fault, my mind was on other things.

Paul

Got some resin and matting so now working out the best approach.

Dave J - 6/7/08 at 12:10 PM

Sorry to read about your mishap. I've almost done the same myself, luckily I've got a couple of very observant lads.

Will the broken edge Knit together?
If so run some resin/hardner mix into the joint and bind together. Reinforce the rear with glass fibre matting, similarly to the area that needs strengthening.

Best of luck.

Dave

perci - 7/7/08 at 04:49 PM

really sorry to hear bout your bonnet Paul, looking on the bright side is that youre heads still in one piece.. would have been a bigger headache! hope you get it sorted intime for peterboro' show? good luck with it.
pete + bec