Board logo

Scrapheap challenge SVA
Alan_Thomas - 2/2/04 at 07:45 AM

Bit off target but did anyone see C4's new scrapheap challenge programme last night. Teams produced 'cars' from a variety of scrap and in 3 cases had to get them thru SVA at the end. One was a 'trike' with almost no bodywork, apparent disregard for regs rear lighting and a 'design' that made the 'sharp edge' the rule not the exception and --
they passed first time!!!!!
Can anyone tell me which SVA test station and how much C4 slipped them to get this result.
As someone who got thru SVA 2nd attempt a couple of weeks ago I wish I had known the answer to these questions a couple of months ago

DaveFJ - 2/2/04 at 08:52 AM

As far as I know trikes have different rules - so that makes it kind of unfair eh!

theconrodkid - 2/2/04 at 08:53 AM

they were told it couldnt be registered as a trike,i think there is a weight limit

Peteff - 2/2/04 at 11:00 AM

400kg weight limit for a trike, although there is talk of some legislation being introduced to cover the construction of trikes, a sort of cut down sva. In theory if you can build a 4 wheeler under the weight limit you can still class it as a motorcycle type vehicle (quad bike). The 3 cylinder diesel Aixam type cars rely on this. You can allegedly drive one on a provisional bike licence unsupervised.

yours, Pete

Fozzie - 2/2/04 at 01:33 PM

I laughed my socks off all through the programme!
Beauracratic red tape and paperwork, and build? and application sending/waiting times? chassis numbers and build inspections and tax, V55/5 palaver et al?
Not forgetting the time to build the things! they didn't, IMMHO, look strictly SVA legit.
All in 5 weeks? B*****s!
ATB fozzie

Alan_Thomas - 2/2/04 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
they were told it couldnt be registered as a trike,i think there is a weight limit

Too right the trike weigh over a ton and I was interested that one build escaped SVA because they registered it as a 'Fairground Showmans Engine' possible loophole? The V16 Rolls diesel was pretty impressive though

theconrodkid - 2/2/04 at 05:44 PM

right who,s going to ask dvla if they have any comments?all lisa said was "no ive got a headache"