Board logo

chassis floor
*davies144* - 18/2/09 at 09:47 PM

hi for the sva/iva does the floor plate on a chassis have to be seam welded in? or can it be riveted or bolted even? ben

Hellfire - 18/2/09 at 10:00 PM

Any of those methods would be suitable but why would you want to bolt it on?

Phil

*davies144* - 18/2/09 at 10:08 PM

hi just heard that it was a possibilty? what would you say is the best mesthod as welding often ripples the floor?

ReMan - 18/2/09 at 10:11 PM

As most/many use an alloy floor it would not be possible to weld it anyway

Hellfire - 18/2/09 at 10:12 PM

What are you building the car for? Reason I ask is because it's quite common to rivet an aluminium floor to the chassis, however some forms of motorsport such as the Locost Championship require a steel floor fitted.

Phil

*davies144* - 18/2/09 at 10:23 PM

to eventually get it on the road and possibly the odd track day, so would you all just rivet an alloy plate on ? what sort of spacing between rivets 1-2"???

Steve Hignett - 18/2/09 at 10:30 PM

PU Adhesive and riveting every 1-2" whichever you prefer (I did 30mm myself )

BenB - 18/2/09 at 10:31 PM

2" spacing ali rivetted floor (sikaflexed first) for me. Use closed rivets if possible (or put silicon gunk into the rivet center holes) to stop water ingress into the chassis rails...

*davies144* - 18/2/09 at 10:38 PM

ok, sorry for being thick but does alloy corrode? if it does is there any prenvention?

robertst - 18/2/09 at 11:58 PM

only if it comes into contact with dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion right?

painted chassis and pu adhesive prevents this

speedyxjs - 19/2/09 at 07:10 AM

Im using bathroom sealant and rivets for my steel floor

tomprescott - 19/2/09 at 09:38 AM

Alumnium does corrode, generally when it comes into contact with a ferrous metal, however it will still corrode on its own - on the upside though unlike rust the thin layer that forms on top of the bare metal will not spread, the corrosion protects the surface. To answer the question you could weld (if using steel) or pop rivet.

iank - 19/2/09 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

Don't use bathroom sealant, they're often full of acetic acid - that's why they stink of vinegar when you use them.

speedyxjs - 19/2/09 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

Don't use bathroom sealant, they're often full of acetic acid - that's why they stink of vinegar when you use them.

Oh right, thanks for the tip

*davies144* - 19/2/09 at 10:57 PM

ok, what sort of thickness sheet have people used 3mm??? or thicker/thinner? ben

Steve Hignett - 21/2/09 at 09:45 AM

2mm is pretty much accepted as the standard thickness for Locost/Conventional Kit floors...

ATB