Board logo

Petrol Gasous Fuel Yes or No
FEZ1025 - 18/3/09 at 08:13 PM

On our Buggies we use a custom built fuel tank which has always been acceptable for SVA however with the onset of IVA we may have problems. Trying to read the IVA manual on the subject is as clear as mud, it's section 03A. It states that all tanks must be accompanied by documentation see note 1. But then note 1 talks about LPG, it then talks about plastic tanks & then starts giving the specification for what I deem to be metal tanks. does this mean that as long as the tank meets 3 to 16 it will be acceptable without being 'type' approved?

Alan...

sebastiaan - 18/3/09 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FEZ1025
does this mean that as long as the tank meets 3 to 16 it will be acceptable without being 'type' approved?

Alan...

yes, it does...

Tanks for Gaseous fuels need to comply to R67-01 (LPG) or R110 (CNG). Plastic tanks also need to comply to some rules. Other tanks (i.e. homebuilt metal tanks) need to comply to point 3-16. Nothing special, really.

matt_claydon - 18/3/09 at 08:53 PM

What he said ^.

Approval required for gaseous fuel tanks and plastic tanks, but fabricated metal for petrol or diesel will just be assessed against the requirements in the IVA manual.

FEZ1025 - 18/3/09 at 09:00 PM

That's great lads, one hurdle over but we now have an issue over what can be defined as engine bay. Here is a picture of my build before SVA as you can see the fuel filler comes out in front of the radiator is this classed as engine bay.

The all enclosed firewall/bulkhead can be overcome

Alan...

FEZ1025 - 11/5/09 at 07:02 PM

Rang VOSA today to try to get an answer on whether they would deem the fuel filler to be in the engine bay or not. Tried to explain it which is not exactly easy, so suggested I emailed somebody with pictures which I have duly done.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j81/gsx550es/Mr_Bumble/DSC00234.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j81/gsx550es/Mr_Bumble/DSC00235.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j81/gsx550es/Mr_Bumble/DSC00431.jpg

Anyone know how long it is likely to take to get an answer?

Alan...

mad-butcher - 12/5/09 at 07:54 AM

to be honest inspectors seem to be a law unto themselves Vosa in head office might say one thing but it's how the inspector on the day interperits it..... steering wheels are a case that springs to mind

tony

iank - 12/5/09 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
to be honest inspectors seem to be a law unto themselves Vosa in head office might say one thing but it's how the inspector on the day interperits it..... steering wheels are a case that springs to mind

tony

Ah, but if you have a bit of paper from VOSA in your hand saying it's ok it should concentrate their mind.

FEZ1025 - 17/6/09 at 09:43 AM

Just an update, not sure if it will affect anybody else but had a response from VOSA.

Thank you for your patience while waiting for a reply to your technical query. I have just received this instruction from the Department for Transport in relation to fuel tank filling points: Dispensation 1: Section 3A (Fuel Tanks) - RS 14: Fuel tank filling points must not be located in the passenger compartment, luggage compartment or within an engine compartment. In respect of Amateur Built Vehicles only, the above item shall not be applied in respect of a fuel tank filling point. This dispensation will end after 28th April 2010. Therefore, as you can see, for a limited period, the filling point can be located in its current position. However, this dispensation is simply to allow manufacturers more time to move the fuel filler to a more suitable position, not to allow the continued practice of having fuel fillers in unsuitable locations. I do hope this information is helpful, but should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Best regards, Mark

But just as an aside, there must be several of these exemptions are they available anywhere?

Alan...