Board logo

immobiliser for IVA
chris 44 - 22/12/09 at 08:36 PM

can any one give me any ideas of which one to use or what people have used for IVA........

thanks

speedyxjs - 22/12/09 at 08:41 PM

There is one on fleabay for about £40 which seems to be the one most use.

[Edited on 22-12-09 by speedyxjs]

rickys2000 - 22/12/09 at 08:43 PM

as long as your steering locks properly you don't need an ancilliary device albeit for extra protection it is a good idea

chris 44 - 24/12/09 at 08:34 AM

im not going to be using a steering lock.

chris 44 - 7/1/10 at 07:30 PM

can anyone give me any ideas...

iank - 7/1/10 at 08:44 PM

If you are using a purely electronic immobilised it needs to be fitted by a professional (VSIB or MESF) and you need documentation proving that. See section 13A of the IVA manual.

Dave Bailey - 7/1/10 at 08:52 PM

This is rediculous... We can build a car from scratch but can't fit an alarm.... Is there anyway round this... I have just bought one of the Sterling toad transponder immobiliser....

Dave B

chris 44 - 20/1/10 at 08:50 PM

so will a hidden switch somewhere to cut power to coils and/or brain be ok..........

DavidW - 20/1/10 at 08:57 PM

In version 4 of the IVA manual, section 13A describes the immobiliser requirements.

In the revision table for this section (the following page) it states that revision 3 was the removal of the requirement for documentary evidence for the immobiliser.

I remember the section being in there about requiring certification but as I read it, it's been removed.

Anyone else agree?

speedyxjs - 22/1/10 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris 44
so will a hidden switch somewhere to cut power to coils and/or brain be ok..........

No.

The manual states you must provide one of the following for an electronic immobiliser:

quote:

Evidence of compliance can be one of the following:
• Documentary evidence from a test laboratory
• Documentary evidence from the vehicle manufacturer (in the case of a mass produced vehicle)
• An original certificate of installation from a Vehicle Systems Installation Board (VSIB) accredited installer
• An original certificate of installation from a Mobile Electronics and Security Federation (MESF) accredited installer

DavidW - 22/1/10 at 08:57 PM

Do we have to have basic or normal IVA?

It looks like it makes a difference when it comes to the immobiliser.

speedyxjs - 22/1/10 at 09:08 PM

Is there? I would imagine it would be normal. What is the difference?

DavidW - 22/1/10 at 09:19 PM

I've read some more...

According to this we only need basic IVA. I think documentary evidence was removed from the Basic IVA requirements in section 13A of the latest manual .

Can someone else read it and see if they agree?

chris 44 - 22/1/10 at 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info chaps.........

speedyxjs - 23/1/10 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
I've read some more...

According to this we only need basic IVA. I think documentary evidence was removed from the Basic IVA requirements in section 13A of the latest manual .

Can someone else read it and see if they agree?

Yep your right.

Basic IVA

quote:

Amateur Built vehicles (kit cars)

and the documentary evidence has been removed (i will save that copy as the one i have is the old one)