Board logo

how many parts off the donor car do i need to make it not a Q?
Arthur T - 9/3/10 at 08:40 PM

i am building a V8 kit car and not sure i can get away with the standard ford knock off on the V5!

how has anyone done this in the past!

Help please!

[Edited on 9/3/10 by Arthur T]

graememk - 9/3/10 at 08:55 PM

whats wrong with a q ??

koiking125 - 9/3/10 at 08:59 PM

as above why not Q plate it??

StrikerChris - 9/3/10 at 09:32 PM

i had the engine,box and diff out of my donor,the rest was either made,bought or scrapyard.came back as an r plate as the donor of the engine etc was,if this helps. As above tho,i wasn't bothered if it did come back on a q,anyone buyin a second hand kit knows the score,logbook will have the year of registration on it anyway,and dont think it affects the value as it would on say an m3!

blakep82 - 9/3/10 at 11:58 PM

i purposely want a Q

02GF74 - 10/3/10 at 07:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
whats wrong with a q ??

Can be easier to insure and have better resale value, plus ability to fit personal plate.

Also looks like a proper car reg. so you can rub soulders with the carerthaham owners and not feel too inferior.

but back to original q. - search the forum - this has discussed before and there are linkys to the gov website - it works on a point system - you need something like 8 points and goes soemthing i=like

chassis 5 (forget that in a kit)
engine = 3
gearbox = 3
brakes = ?
running gear = ?
and so on.

note that vast majoroity of DVLA inspectors cannot tell a pinto from a crossflow or type nine from 4 speed so you can get away with old ford parts clamining to come from same door.