Board logo

Towing Insurance?
cloudy - 27/10/10 at 10:38 AM

Does anyone know what the deal is with insurance whilst towing a car on a trailer? Which insurance policy is used? The tow car is 3rd party, whilst the towed car is fully comp. Can anyone comment on the "norm"?

James

marcjagman - 27/10/10 at 10:41 AM

Ring your insurance company they are the best people to tell you what you want to know.

dhutch - 27/10/10 at 10:45 AM

I dont know where you stand in terms of claiming on the towed cars insurence although i would be interested to know.

Typically (outside of LCB) the item your towing isnt a car and then as in understand it the the insurence would normal come from the tow cars cover if it has any towing cover, or from a 3rd party policy. Often trailed loads are largly uninsured as far as ive ever known.

Im the same boat as you, however, kitcars on a nice fully comp policy insured for £5k, where the tow cars on a crappy price comp site kwikfit tpft policy and worth about £1200.

Daniel

cloudy - 27/10/10 at 12:27 PM

I'm with adrian flux on both vehicles - just called, their policy is 3rd party on the trailer contents only (no matter whether the towing vehicle is full comp or not)

Next question, how do I insure it!

James

BobM - 27/10/10 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
Next question, how do I insure it!
You can get a policy with Competition Car Insurance or Richard Eggar to insure your car while it's on the trailer. I use them for my race car, it's basically insured whenever it's not under its own power, i.e in my garage, on the trailer or in the paddock.

dhutch - 27/10/10 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
I'm with adrian flux on both vehicles - just called, their policy is 3rd party on the trailer contents only.
James
Presumably from the tow cars policy.

quote:
Originally posted by BobMYou can get a policy with Competition Car Insurance or Richard Eggar to insure your car while it's on the trailer. I use them for my race car, it's basically insured whenever it's not under its own power, i.e in my garage, on the trailer or in the paddock.

Can i ask how much that is? Does it include use on the road?

Danozeman - 27/10/10 at 08:46 PM

When i insured my locost i asked that question. Is it insured when im towing. he said the insurance on the car being towed covers it as its still an accident regardless of whether you driving it or not.

McLannahan - 27/10/10 at 09:11 PM

When "someone I know" crashed his Passat towing his Porsche 911....The Porsche was covered with it's standard comprehensive cover, as was the Passat.

"He" claimed on both policies as both cars were written off...and the trailer too. The trailer was only given third party though and any damage it caused was covered but the repairs to it weren't. Storage for the trailer was only covered for 24hrs before it was assessed so it was recovered back to the house the folowing day.

Passat was covered by Admiral at the time and I think the Porsche was covered by Flux? Policies may have changed conditions and this was quite a long time ago now.

cloudy - 28/10/10 at 07:09 AM

Common sense dictates this ^ Hopefully I never have to test that theory!

welderman - 28/10/10 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
When "someone I know" crashed his Passat towing his Porsche 911....The Porsche was covered with it's standard comprehensive cover, as was the Passat.

"He" claimed on both policies as both cars were written off...and the trailer too. The trailer was only given third party though and any damage it caused was covered but the repairs to it weren't. Storage for the trailer was only covered for 24hrs before it was assessed so it was recovered back to the house the folowing day.

Passat was covered by Admiral at the time and I think the Porsche was covered by Flux? Policies may have changed conditions and this was quite a long time ago now.

IT WAS YOU !!!!, "someone I know"