Board logo

Long term SORN
norfolkluego - 4/5/11 at 08:52 PM

Is there any maximum time you can SORN a car before it becomes a sort of non-car.
Reason I'm asking is I really only use my Luego for sprinting and I'm getting sick and tired of shoving money down the governments throat with MOT, road fund licence and insurance (including IPT).
I'm thinking of getting an MSA logbook and keeping it SORNed but keeping it road legal (apart from tax, MOT etc) and running in a non-roadgoing class.
The reason to keep it road legal is so I could easily get it MOT'd should I want/need to sell.
Does the SVA/IVA expire or anything like that, is there a bad side of SORN (apart from not being able to use on a public road).

JoelP - 4/5/11 at 09:15 PM

no, you have to sorn every year but the car can be returned to the road with just a mot and tax.

ReMan - 4/5/11 at 09:21 PM

Sorn every year nolimit to how long for.

It can only be a matter of time before they charge for it to "cover the admin costs"

littlefeller - 7/5/11 at 06:45 PM

there is going to be a change in the law conserning this, think it will soon be nessasary to insure the car whilst sorn, seems daft to me but i might be wrong

JoelP - 7/5/11 at 07:06 PM

wrong there mate, the change is that any vehicle not on sorn must be insured, even off road.