Board logo

First Registration
Daddylonglegs - 6/8/12 at 10:51 AM

Here we go!

Just rang Frank Pickles regarding taking out insurance (they were really competitive) but they cannot give me cover against a VIN number, only against a Reg. I rang the DVLA thinking that the insurance would only be needed for road tax, but they said no, I must have a certificate/cover note to be able to register the vehicle. So I now have to find another company that will do cover against the VIN

I also asked how long the registration would take, and was told that it would be 1-2 weeks before I get the tax disc and letter comfirming registration but 4-6 weeks for the V5!!

Bye-bye summer driving then, I thought I was on the home stretch

Damn Govt. agencies SUCK!!!

And I apologise to anyone on here that works for the above, but that's the way I feel right now!

loggyboy - 6/8/12 at 11:07 AM

Maybe try asking to speak to a manager/supervisor at FP, they should be able to help more then a phone monkey.

Hellfire - 6/8/12 at 11:08 AM

Pretty sure Adrian Flux will provide cover against the VIN number but only for a short period of time, whilst you get the vehicle through IVA.

Phil

[Edited on 6-8-12 by Hellfire]

Coopz - 6/8/12 at 11:12 AM

Thats odd Frank Pickles covered me under my vin, in fact they were very helpful indeed! I took out a years policy with them originally under a cover note for the VIN to drive to IVA then when on the road I sent them the Reg and they sent out the Insurance certificate. Sorry Can't help with recommending any other Insurance Companies.

parkiboy - 6/8/12 at 11:16 AM

I'm going through this process at the moment and I thought I was being screwed but 4-6 weeks is rediculous!

From puttin the v55/4 in I had to wait one week for a letter giving me an inspection date 2 weeks after that (so 3 weeks after I put in the form) and they said my log book will be ready for collection 24-48 hours after inspection

Daddylonglegs - 6/8/12 at 12:04 PM

Well, they say every cloud has a silver lining. I just rang around to get more quotes from companies that would insure against a chassis number, and came up with a quote £12 cheaper!

Once they send me the docs via email I'm off to do battle with the local DVLA in Bristol. Hopefully dealing in-person will be more fruitful than dealing over-the-phone?

Watch this space...........

JB

sdh2903 - 6/8/12 at 12:07 PM

Adrian flux. Sureterm and footman James will all insure on the vin. Frank pickles were quite rude over the phone when I said I was 29 and wanted insurance. They then failed to bother calling back twice.

I ended up with sureterm. 200 fully comp including legal cover and European breakdown cover. Cover note was in my email within the hour which went straight to dvla with the rest of the paperwork

Daddylonglegs - 6/8/12 at 12:18 PM

Yep, it was Adrian Flux I went through. FJ quoted me £150 more than my original qoute from Frank Pickles

adithorp - 6/8/12 at 12:23 PM

1-2 weeks to get your registration paperwork done, then they send you (or you pick up) the tax disc and certificate to get number plates made and you're ON THE ROAD! Some people get lucky and it's done while they wait but it's rare.

V5's always take 4-5 weeks to come through from Swansea either for a new registration or when just changing owner. Nothing unusual about that and you you don't need the V5 to drive the car.

stevegough - 6/8/12 at 03:40 PM

Adrian has hit the nail on the head - you don't need the V5 to get on the road!
I also insured my car on the VIN through Adrian Flux.

Come on, Daddylonglegs - get it sorted! Kick some DVLA arses! (but take a book to read while you queue!)

James - 6/8/12 at 04:41 PM

Granted I had my inspection some weeks before SVA but I managed to get it all sorted at DVLA Wimbledon on the drive home from SVA. Registration, tax and number plate certificate all in my hot sticky hand in about an hour.

I'd spoken to my case officer there a number of times on the phone in advance, she even sent me all the docs I needed. Made sure we made friends (basically I kissed ass!).

Go to your local DVLA with a friendly attitude, be polite, smile sweetly, suck up, beg... do whatever it takes to get them wanting to help you.

Good luck!

Cheers,
James

Daddylonglegs - 6/8/12 at 04:42 PM

I did, see here

renetom - 6/8/12 at 04:48 PM

Hi
Passed our IVA.
The next day I drove down to Brighton DVLA office , sorted it all out there & then came away with the tax disc
Got the No plates on the way home , Job done, on the road next day.
Excellent service from Brighton DVLA office.
René

renetom - 6/8/12 at 04:48 PM

Hi
Passed our IVA.
The next day I drove down to Brighton DVLA office , sorted it all out there & then came away with the tax disc
Got the No plates on the way home , Job done, on the road next day.
Excellent service from Brighton DVLA office.
René

Daddylonglegs - 6/8/12 at 04:49 PM

Yep, me too! I can't fault Bristol local DVLA.

Faith restored

stevegough - 6/8/12 at 04:52 PM

Nice one, Dad! Now get out and get caught in a downpour!!