Board logo

Handbrake Issue
Jamesc - 19/1/15 at 01:07 PM

Good afternoon..

After a month or so absent from building, I thought I'd have a day in the workshop - About an hour in and I was stumped.

Can anyone suggest a solution (or tell me what's wrong) for the handbrake cable routing on a Spire GTR using Sierra calipers? At the moment, it looks like below and will require a sharp 90 deg angle to get it round.

That is not the cable I'm going to use by the way as it's a standard sierra one.

Thanks, James.

CosKev3 - 19/1/15 at 03:31 PM

Swap the calipers onto opposite sides of car?

loggyboy - 19/1/15 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Swap the calipers onto opposite sides of car?

/ This /

designer - 19/1/15 at 03:46 PM

If you have to turn it 90deg. use a bell crank. You can also put in some mechanical advantage.

theprisioner - 19/1/15 at 04:17 PM

Can you not make a bracket, attached to the existing handbrake outer sleve capture position and shift it inwards by 20mm. Then modify the leaver.

Jamesc - 20/1/15 at 09:15 AM

Cheers for the suggestions

I'm trying to avoid having to make a bracket or extension etc, as surely it should fit!

My only thought was to space the caliper out, but then I'd need to space the disc and fit some different offset wheels..

Would the above picture be an IVA failure as it is touching the lower arm?

theprisioner - 20/1/15 at 10:35 AM

If you look at either the VW Golf or Passat calliper as fitted to Westfield's and Sylva J15's they have possibly a more sympathetic handbrake cable exit for your suspension design. It may be worth a look.

Jamesc - 20/1/15 at 12:01 PM

Cheers mate. I've checked them out and they look like they may work better.

I'll do some more research in to that.

CosKev3 - 20/1/15 at 02:44 PM

Just swap them side to side!
the cable will feed in from the top then like the majority of kit cars using sierra calipers

Jamesc - 20/1/15 at 02:53 PM

I did consider that, but does it make bleeding them a pain?

Also, most Spires I have seen have them installed as I have, so I'm a bit miffed.

mark b - 23/1/15 at 10:20 PM

Remove the mounting bolts bleed that brake and then bolt it back on

AntonUK - 24/1/15 at 09:53 PM

mine are just upside down, bleeding is a pain but not done often