Board logo

Momo steering wheel mods for SVA?
RazMan - 26/1/05 at 10:56 PM

I have a Momo Steering wheel of the 'flat bottom' variety to allow more room for my legs (standard Sierra one touches my knees) I know that the Momo will not pass SVA so is there any mod to get it through? Is it just the alloy spokes that need to be covered or am I on the wrong track?

tom_loughlin - 26/1/05 at 11:11 PM

it would probably just be easier to grin and bear it for sva (unless its hindering your movement) and swap it after the test.
Tom

mangogrooveworkshop - 26/1/05 at 11:46 PM

go for sva with stock wheel.........a lot of hassel will be saved........see macspeedy sva.
We had to find one in Glasgow in a hour........and it was the wrong one we picked up first....another trip back to the scrappers

albertz - 27/1/05 at 07:00 PM

I am hoping to try and get through with my Momo 270mm flat bottomed wheel, simply because i cannot fit in the car with the standard Toyota wheel, never mind operate the controls!!

I am hoping to make some kind of padding up, thats looks permanent enough to convince the tester. Also my wheel does not have a centre horn button, so i plan to mount a small pushbutton on the dash. Hopefully there wont be any SVA problems with doing this?

BTW if anyone has pictures of an SVA compliant Momo wheel mock up then i would be delighted.

RazMan - 27/1/05 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by albertz
I am hoping to try and get through with my Momo 270mm flat bottomed wheel, simply because i cannot fit in the car with the standard Toyota wheel, never mind operate the controls!!

A man after my own ..... size (probably)

I thought it just had to have all radiuseseses (sp) over 2.5mm so surely some kind of rubber trim around the flat spokes would do it ..... or am I just wishful thinking?

Edit: Or how about this little gizmo from Europa?

It would seem to cover all of the 'iffy' bits

[Edited on 27/1/05 by RazMan]

Peteff - 27/1/05 at 11:23 PM

All the tester at Derby was bothered about was the screw heads holding it together. He never mentioned the spoke radius (radii plural Raz ) on a Mountney wheel.

albertz - 28/1/05 at 07:52 AM

I think i will chance it for the SVA, if it fails it wouldn't be that serious to file a radius.

Put it this way - if thats all it fails on i will be happy

The Europa thing may be an option, probably quite pricey though?

Being 6'5" and 15 stone, its not easy trying to fit everything to suit me in a standard chassis, which begs the question why is it a standard chassis?......too far into it now to worry

Bananaman - 28/1/05 at 09:18 AM

The SVA pad for a Mountney wheel is £11 according to the latest Merlin Motorsport catalogue.

Cheers
Michael

David Jenkins - 28/1/05 at 09:31 AM

I fitted a similar thing to my Astrali wheel - and I'm leaving it on, following a crash report from someone in the Suffolk area (sorry - forgotten your name! ). Amongst other injuries, his hands were carved up a bit by his wheel spokes.
It doesn't get in the way of my hands anyway, and looks tidy.
David