Board logo

Engine age
coovey - 20/3/05 at 11:53 PM

I bought my 2.0 pinto separate to the donnor car. The SVA requires i prove the age of the engine.

Has anyone had any joy getting prove of engine age?

Cheers

bob - 21/3/05 at 12:11 AM

Technical Information Centre
Ford Motor Company
PO BOX 300
Walsall
WS5 4QH

Send them a letter quoting engine number and they will inturn write back with confirmation.

You can phone 09065 533447 (£ a min)
But they will only tell you verbally.

RogerM - 21/3/05 at 12:14 AM

Most Ford dealers are much more use for historic data than selling new cars ..... (surely they spelt FOCUS wrong ..... FOC U_P perhaps??????? )

If you speak nicely to the parts department and give them the engine number they will most likely be able to pin it down to a 3 month period, should be enough for the SVA man). When I needed a paint code for a friends Mk2 Capri I just drove the car down and 10 minutes later, from the chassis number as the main sticker / plate had been removed on a previous respray), I had the paint code, primer code and even the correct colour breakdown so I could get it mixed by any paint shop ..... was a perfect match too!

If they can do that with paint an engine number should give them no problems.

Best to ask them as if you are planning a full rebuild or simialr so they think they are going to make some money on the job (assuming they still do Pinto bits that is).

wicket - 21/3/05 at 11:29 AM

The SVA man generally requires manufacturers written confirmation of the engine age based on the serial number stamped on the block, I doubt whether your local Ford dealer has that information.

Mr_Stevo - 21/3/05 at 02:05 PM

Rang the Newcastle test center last week and they said the V5 would do to prove the age of the engine. That's only if you have it of couse

Marcus - 21/3/05 at 08:34 PM

Stevo,
I used V5 to prove my engine age. Sent it away to DVLA 2 months before SVA with a change of engine number so it matched my 'new' engine. They didn't even query it!

Marcus

coovey - 21/3/05 at 08:35 PM

Thanks Bob will get on to that address

rusty nuts - 21/3/05 at 08:53 PM

Found our local Ford parts dept to be useless when I enquired about engine age, eventually managed to get the phone no for Ford tech dept from them.Spoke to tech dept who said fax them details and approx 1 hour later had a fax reply with date of manufacture even better got home the following evening and postman had delivered letter from Ford tech with details. brilliant service and no charge. Thats what I call locost

tractorboy - 21/3/05 at 09:34 PM

as in the top reply, write to ford technical department . they replied very promptly on nice ford headed note paper. the guy at the sva was more than happy with it. in the letter just write the engine number and a brief explination as to why you need the information .
this is the route i used with no problems
cheers scott

coovey - 22/3/05 at 06:39 PM

Cheers Guys, posted the letter today