Board logo

Wetsuit material...?
adam_moore - 5/8/05 at 09:37 AM

A bit of a strange question...can anyone help.

I'm thinking of making proper sharp edge covers for my front suspension similar to the rubber/neoprene/wetsuite material covers that you can get for mountain bike headsets and chainstays (hope that helps explain).

I can't find anywhere that sells such material. I don't think I want neoprene becuase that is actually a type of rubber and I got a sample from woolies and it was indeed rubber sheet.

The stuff I'm after is kind of like the material that some CD wallets and I think bodyglove phone cases are made from???

My plan was to make a pattern and then sew and wrap them around the ball joints etc... and secure with hook and loop tape (very similar to the mtb covers).

Anyone got any ideas?
Adam

[Edited on 5/8/05 by adam_moore]

David Jenkins - 5/8/05 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adam_moore
The stuff I'm after is kind of like the material that some CD wallets and I think bodyglove phone cases are made from???

Cordura?

As found on their web site

DJ

Mike S - 5/8/05 at 10:42 AM

Hi Adam

I know what you mean. You want the neoprene rubber that is covered one side or both sides with coloured streachy material and is used to make wetsuits for sailing/surfing.

You can get wetsuit repair materials (patches) from surf shops.

How much do you need? If you are not fussy about the colour, then I could have a route around in my loft as I am sure that I still have some old wetsuits that kids had when they were small and we were into catamaran sailing!

Let me know if you want me to look. Most likely colour would be light blue though.

Cheers

Mike

jos - 5/8/05 at 11:36 AM

Softbitsfor7's were offering a tonneau or boot cover or soft top in a similar material.

Perhaps try contacting them for some off cuts.

rick q - 5/8/05 at 12:29 PM

Why not use cheap mouse pads - the part that sits on your desk - not the sanitary kind

Peteff - 5/8/05 at 04:59 PM

? . We call them mouse mats. I think this is something like you are looking for. It's available from art shops in all sorts of colours and is like closed cell foam in thin sheets. Go to the stockists button on the left and put your postcode in to find your nearest. Funky foam

rusty nuts - 5/8/05 at 05:27 PM

Hippy rolls? any camping stores sell them

givemethebighammer - 7/8/05 at 08:59 AM

I bought a cheap piece from a wet suit manufacturer for my seat padding (it was a second so he couldn't use it). 2m x 3m in 7mm black cost me £34 inc postage. Can't remember who is was (Cornwall somewhere). Just Google for wetsuit manufacturer.

adam_moore - 8/8/05 at 06:41 AM

Thanks guy's

I found some cheap black wetsuite type shorts at Decathlon at the weekend that will do just fine!

I'll be posting some pre SVA pictures soon