Board logo

vin plate
joolsmi16 - 19/1/06 at 10:57 PM

Hi all, anyone know of a website that will stamp a vin plate looking for a nice finish.

DarrenW - 19/1/06 at 11:10 PM

on mine i made my own main vin plate and welded to the chassis in a less than obvious place.

For the fancy one why not find a local trophy engravers and get one made. That can be fitted on scuttle.

Ive also gone made with a paint pen and wrote the chassis number all over the place. Some obvious, some less so.

Kissy - 20/1/06 at 06:57 AM

Make the plate from whatever material you want and get it engraved, you should be able to find one of these sports trophy suppliers who can do it - you may even get one who can take your artwork. Just check if they can do stainless if that's what you want, and that you pick a softer grade.

donut - 20/1/06 at 07:28 AM

I have been told (by DVLA) that it has to be stamped into he chassis but theres no reason to also have a plate i guess. I can't even make my chassis number up which is a pain.

[Edited on 20/1/06 by donut]

jos - 20/1/06 at 08:12 AM

The gauranteed way to stisfy inspectors is to get it stamped into the chassis. Next least likely to cause arguments is to have it engraved onto a plate and weld the plate to the chassis. Lastly and most contrversial (sp??) is to have the plate engraved and pop rivet it to the chassis.

I got mine done at Mr Minute/key cutters/shoe repairers and used the latter which did cause an argument with DVLA but got sorted to my satisfaction in the end.

caber - 20/1/06 at 08:52 AM

Haqlfords are doing a rolson automatic number stamp kit at the moment. The main but is like an automatic centre punch and it has dies for letters and numbers about £10 I think. It mak not do cast iron but will certainly do thin steel or ally.

Caber

andyharding - 20/1/06 at 09:48 PM

Having told me that I needed to weld a vin plate on the fecking DVLA retards now say that's no good and it needs to be stamped into the chassis. I said if I try to stamp box section it just squashes. Huh? When it actually comes to the inspection I'm going to come off as a nutter who might smash the place up if they don't co-operate and hope that does the trick

Bob C - 20/1/06 at 10:36 PM

I got a full set of number/letter punches on Macclesfield market for £13 a couple of months ago. Came in a nice wooden box. I hope they're big enough for SVA (characters are 6.6mm high)
cheers
Bob
PS to avoid tube squashing I'm going to stamp a seat belt nut holding plate - you just have to get a mate to hold a sledgehammer behind it as an 'anvil' when you stamp it to prevent damage

DarrenW - 20/1/06 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Having told me that I needed to weld a vin plate on the fecking DVLA retards now say that's no good and it needs to be stamped into the chassis. I said if I try to stamp box section it just squashes. Huh? When it actually comes to the inspection I'm going to come off as a nutter who might smash the place up if they don't co-operate and hope that does the trick

Strange that, my local office said i couldnt rivet a plate on and agreed that my suggestion of welding a steel numbered plate onto chassis was a good idea. Passed build up inspection before SVA with no problems. Stockton DVLA have been fantastic.

Peteff - 21/1/06 at 12:09 AM

Mine's on 16g plate tacked on the battery tray and also on the aluminium where it folds over the top rail. No problem there.

tomblyth - 22/1/06 at 01:49 PM

check this out!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chassis-Plate-Lotus-7-inspired-cars-Locost-Birkin-Tiger_W0QQitemZ4606332568QQcategoryZ10076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

phillippe - 22/1/06 at 04:36 PM

i went to the trophy shop £6 and it looks good

NS Dev - 24/1/06 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
Hi all, anyone know of a website that will stamp a vin plate looking for a nice finish.

My mate Clive will engrave you a BEAUTIFUL one in black anodised aluminium engraved through to silver, he makes a SUPERB job of them.

here's a link to his website:

Custom Solutions

Not a VIN plate as he has no pics but another bit of his engraving for another customer:

You will NOT be disappointed with his work!